Woolly lousewort

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by fishbio, Nov 13, 2017.

1. A friend needs some slides scanned for her father's funeral so yesterday I picked a few of my own slides at random to make sure I knew what I was doing. I shot this pretty little flower, Pedicularis lanata, in 1976 on Somerset Island in the Canadian Arctic at 72.69N. Dust is obviously an issue! Kodachrome, Nikkormat, 55mm f3.5 micro-Nikkor K.

Larry

Waldron scans001-2.JPG

2. That's a beautiful flower, well photographed, and the scan is excellent.

My wife, who is a wildlife enthusiast, was quite impressed. Was this in June?

3. hanks Jim

It was July. Spring arrives pretty late up there. Ice stayed on the lake the whole summer that year, not surprising since it started out at 8' thick.

Larry

4. I looked it up on Google maps. That is really far north. Were you working on something up there?

5. I was studying the lake and the Arctic charr population as part of an environmental study for a proposed gas pipeline coming straight down the middle of Canada. It wasn't built. You would have liked the fishing up there.

Larry

6. I'm sure I would have.

7. Nice. ALaska? Stanwell Fletcher Lake is way north of the tree line. It's a good place for rocks, lichens and wildflowers. I tickled a 6 pound charr out of the river one day; delicious. There was one Inuiit familly which spent their summers at the coast at the mouth of the river and I got to try a kakivak, the traditional 3 pronged fishing spear.

Larry

8. Sounds like quite an adventure. One more question: how large is that flower?

9. It would have been about 3" tall.

L

10. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    It's a beauty.

11. Thanks for sharing the scan with us. What did you use to do that? I have tons of slides that I would like to scan and have been toying with buying a Cool Scan used and then sell it when I am finished. Nice image.

12. Thanks Gordon. It's an Epson flat bed scanner which also has a light in the lid for slides and negatives. The current model of what I have is the Epson Perfection V600 photo. I got mine as a refurb. direct from Epson. It does 4 slides at a time and at high res. it's very slow.

Larry

13. Thanks Larry.