Workflow for picture taking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Odonata, Aug 9, 2005.

1. After a year of shooting digital SLR (used a film SLR off and on in earlier years and digital for several years before the D70) I feel I have a pretty good handle on the technical aspects of shooting such as watching out for blown highlights, WB, depth of field, when to use fill flash, charge the battery, etc. :)

What I am looking for are simple shooting tips/actions as you take a picture. Do you do anything in particular all the time? Do you watch for anything specific in your subject (other than the technical)? I recognize things such as the rule of thirds, using lines/curves to draw the eyes to a subject are a start, but what I seek are "real world" tips/actions.

I recognize much of what you do is dependent on the subject and even personal taste. I often struggle with composition and by incorporating some of your shooting tips/actions, I hope to become better at the "art" part of photography.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Best regards,
    Eugene