1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Workflow query with D3 images

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Gandalf_22h, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Workflow query: CNX 2.01

Have very recently moved up to a D3 from D2Xs/D200 combo. My main shooting area is wildlife/birds. My main lens for this is the VR 80-400mm.
    Obviously with the D3 I lose the x1.5 crop factor on the 80-400mm, 400 = 400mm.
    Not too bad if I'm shooting faily large birds/animals, however, small birds on an FX frame requires quite a sizeable crop, wasting a lot of pixels in the process.

With regard to workflow: would it be permissable to crop the image first seeing as I try to keep the bird in the centre portion of the frame because of the need to crop, before carrying out my local and selective adjustments. The reason I ask is if I do these steps earlier, cropping throws away most of that info anyway.

I hope I have explained this properly.

Cheers,

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I'm sure there are others with more knowledge, but I make all my image adjustment to the full image, and save cropping till near the end for my desired output.

3. Just a couple of thoughts.
    First, I never crop the original image, in fact I never do anything that permanently changes the original.
    If I KNOW for sure how these images are going to be used, and what size they will be printed I will sometimes crop early in my workflow- but that is unusual.
    The problem with the "early" cropping is you are throwing away information and flexability. You have to recrop for different size prints- 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, etc all require a different crop as the images have a different aspect ratio. So if you size this as a 4x6, and someone later asks for an 8x10 you may have a difficult time resizing- you could print an 8x12, but an 8x10 will require another resizing. This can be difficult without the entire image.
    Gary

4. Cropping and straightening (which results in a crop) should always be done last. The reason has to do with placement of the local adjustments applied with Control Points and selection tools. If you select part of the image after it has been cropped, any change whatsoever in the crop will cause those selections to move. As an example, if you crop, then desaturate part of the background, then crop again, the desaturated area of the image will now be different and might even be the subject.

5. akrabat

akrabat

Aug 10, 2007
    Worcester, UK
    I tend to straighten as a first edit step as I know it won't change. Cropping I do last for the reasons you cite.

Regards,

Rob...

6. post

Thanks but it seems I didn't explain it fully enough. I was referring to making only one crop of the images as they would only be for web-posting, not printing out at different sizes.

If for printing at different sizes etc I will normally crop toward the end of my workflow before resize, profiling and output sharpening.

7. You can use any workflow that works for you, but the point that I and many of us would make is that you don't know what you might want to do to an image 20 years from now. You don't know that you'll use only one crop of a particular image.

If you're asking whether cropping early in your workflow will result in a degraded image, the answer is "No."

8. post

Mike said: "If you're asking whether cropping early in your workflow will result in a degraded image, the answer is "No."

Cheers Mike. Yes, that is what I was asking. Thanks very much. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.