Workflow Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkGT, Jun 6, 2007.

1. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I ran a search but really didn't find theinfo I was looking for, I apologize if this has been answered before. The other day I shot about 200 images in NEF format. It took me FOREVER to open each one in Photoshop ( I only have 7.0) Convert them to Tiff files and then do the editing and finally saving them as JPGs. There has to be a faster way to do this. I am thinking about starting a side business for this photography stuff and need a more efficient solution. I am interested in hearing about software (none of the free trials I tried were that great) and methods to speed things up. What do you use in your business or hobby that is fast, efficient, and will do batch file conversions, then if you have any info about how to do batch white balancing or anything that would be great too. Thanks for putting up with my n00bness!

2. Depending on how much editing you need to do to each one, you could try Nikon Capture NX or Lightroom.

I wouldn't call Capture NX fast but if it's just minor work you're needing to do (no cloning or the like), it is probably faster than what you're working with now.

Lightroom is faster than Capture for me and I like the controls Lightroom offers. Have you tried either yet? Free trials are available

3. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Editing is the key. Management is another consideration.

What is your computer processing capabilities? The first thing tell people that ask about taking the DSLR plunge is to set aside some money for a new PC (or at least some memory & hard drives). These files are not small and take some serious horsepower to work with them with any resemblance of speed.

Having said that, and to answer your question directly, I have absolutely fallen head over heels in love with Aperture. I own damn near everything else trying to find an efficient solution and this has become the sole go to program... YMMV (but I doubt it)

4. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I am a network systems admin for a large medical devices company :) Total computer geek lol... I have two systems right now. One is an AMD FX53 with 2 GB of PC3200 Ram, the other (workhorse) is a P-4 2.8 1 GB of Ram and half a teraby worth of drives in it. I am in the process of acquiring a Dell Poweredge Server with dual Xeon 2.8s and 4GB of ram with 6 146GB 15K RPM SCSI Ultra 320 drives in it. I think that will be the new workhorse, or at least data storage. I am also looking at the 1TB device from Western Digital.

I know my main graphics computer is on the slow side. I am working on that. I just need to beef up the available storage on the machine with the FX processor in it. That would help out a lot right there. Maybe after I get the camera paid off, future gigs will go towards a new, ridiculously fast machine for editing. So aperture is GBRandy's pick, any others that are notable?

5. I have heard people rave about Bibble, but it's not for the faint of heart. Yet, given your line of work, I'd hazard a guess to say that you shouldn't have a problem.:biggrin:

6. I have developed a work flow using Aperture and a Mac Pro, 8GB ram, 2.5TB of storage in the main machince and 2.15TB of storage in an eSata Case. I can literally process up to 300 RAW files and output web proof sheets to my client in about an hour. This includes keywording, renaming, croping, color corrections and sharpening. Based on the equipent you are using I would think that Adobe Lightroom may be your best bet to speed up your workflow with out having to buy new hardware. I suspect it will take somne serious reading and watching of available video tutorials to maximise your learning.
    Good luck with your quest.

7. allenxchu

allenxchu Guest

Lightroom is the best program a photographer, especially event photographer, could use. Being able to batch edit photos is amazing.

8. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you all for the input! This will give me a place to start looking.