Working a daisy

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 21, 2005.

1. One of my neighbors brought me a nice present today... a beautiful Gerber Daisy in a pretty bud vase.
    Unfortunately, I have to return the vase once the flower has faded :cry:.

I used my light tent with a white background and the 60mm micro to make this picture.

Then I decided to experiment with directional lighting, and a black background to make the flower "pop".

I finished off with a tight macro of the core.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    All good shots Frank. I kind of like the last best. Any chance of seeing a shot of that light tent?

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Oh, I love the last one....and the second one....and the first one....What a nice neighbor to bring such a nice treat!

4. Neil

Neil

Jul 8, 2005
    Douglasville, GA
    Great shots Frank have to agree with Leigh. Each shot has something special to look at.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah! It reminds me of that movie called Powers of Ten - I expected the photos to continue to the sub-atomic level... ;)

6. Excellent still life study Frank! As Frank (Flew) said, it would be good if you can share your light tent secret.

Regards,
    Jonathan

7. Really nice detail in the image Frank. You have made good use of the daisy.

8. Thanks for your interest and kind words, folks!

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    That looks like a cool set-up Frank. Do you use it with the floods? If so, what color temp? Your whites always look so white, and I've had problems getting mine right when using floods. Do you use a gray card for these kinds of shots?

Thanks,

10. Frank, if you look at the setup, you'll see there are two lightstands with floodlights and reflectors supplied with the kit. The floods supplied are photobulbs, which seem to work perfectly with auto white balance.

On another front, I'm having problems working the new Cafe GUI. The editing tools no longer appear above my "reply" screen, nor do the smilies, which i understand should appear to the right of the message box. Here's a screenshot of my "reply screen".

original.

As I was fumbling around earlier, I seem to recall an advisory that this might be related to the settings on my computer. Can you point me in the right direction?

Note: I'll post this on the "help" forum as well. Thanks in advance.