Working a nemesis bird - RHWP

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Glacier, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I am truly thankful to finally have an opportunity at photographing these beautiful birds after many years of frustration. Found a second cavity that requires you to wear snake chaps to get to but well worth it to me. An interesting side note: the parents at this second location have very different habits than the first one so it took awhile to figure out their routine.

A snack for the little one.

[​IMG]

About twenty minutes later.

[​IMG]

He runs around to this spot after every feeding and looks toward a line of trees presumably for his mate.

[​IMG]

The object of their affection.

[​IMG]

2. Well done Andy

I see that little walk payed off for you.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent shots

4. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thanks Gary. It's like standing in a steam bath out there but well worth it.

Thanks as always Gale.

5. Wow Andy, those are great. We saw one of these at the Cafe get-together this past March but we were too far away. Fast little birds, huh? I have even more respect for these pictures having seen one in the wild for only a few minutes.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent set Andy. Again, I wish that I could have joined you, but I put out another 130 bags of mulch this morning, and bought over 300 paver stones and 50 bags of paver base that I have to put out tomorrow. Still hoping for Sunday though. :rolleyes:

7. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thank you Mason! I have literally been after these birds for years and that makes it even sweeter to be able to finally get a few decent images.

Geez Frank I had always thought you had your priorities right but I guess not. :biggrin: Just kidding, I took a week off from work in June to do the exact same thing. :rolleyes:

8. He Andy what are you smokeing lately. Boy these are really fine photos, all of them. Now is this due to a new camera or a better smoke.:biggrin:
    :smile:
    Lou

9. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Nice series Andy
    arnie

10. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thanks Lou! It's all about the frame rate when doing this type of work. I honestly don't see an ounce of difference in the image quality between the two cameras (30D and 1D Mark II) but the frame rate is a huge plus for action shots. Maybe the fancy cigars are helping? :biggrin:

Thanks for looking in!

11. This is an excellent series, Andy.

Wish I can see and photograph this beautiful bird.

12. Very nice Andy. Great captures. Congratulations on the 2nd find.

Thanks for sharing

Lil

13. Great shots. I would love to photograph these birds!

14. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Come to the Alabama gathering next year and maybe you can!

Thank you Lil!

Thanks! It took me a few years to get some within range so keep looking.