Working from home...bad for the wallet

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by PeterRH, Nov 16, 2005.

1. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Drat and confound it all!

I started off today by ordering a Gitzo 1325 tripod and 1321 leveling head...that was bad enough.

Now I've been suckered into buying a Nikkor 45 2.8P before they all disappear....out of pure intrigue and fascination about what seems like a little jewel in Nikon's lens history.

Plus there is something about the idea *having* to use manual focus that appeals.

I thought my lens kit was fine with a modern set of AF lenses, I certainly wasn't prepared to be struck by what can only be described as a lens lust bug.

Must go and organise some meetings to pay for all this!

2. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

3. Welcome to the club:biggrin: .
    I sometimes buy lenses out of incurable collectomania (not the expensive ones, though).

4. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    It is a lovely little piece of glass, collector's item that actually takes excellent piccies. LOL - and enjoy it. Had a look at any of the other MF lenses out there - it can get a real hook in you, because there are so many gems.

5. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Aggghhhhhhhhh..............

The 45 hasn't even arrived yet and you're tempting me into looking at more?:Shocked:

Really looking forward to going out with it attached to the D2x....it'll stop me worrying about camera shake for a while. Should arrive tomorrow so I'll post something soon as poss.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Peter :

Well then, try out a 58mm f/1.2 "Noct". Once you test one, you won't go back. :eek:

John P.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Blame Bjorn
    Then Regit :>)))))

8. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

First trial with the 45P

Haven't had a moment with the new lens since it arrived until today, got a chance to do a quick test.

It was a hoot to use something that looked almost ludicrously small on the D2x, but I think I'm going to enjoy taking it out.

[​IMG]

9. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Another sample - D70 + 45

ISO 800, 1/125 @ f/4 (makes the D70 into a wonderful carry around camera):

[​IMG]

10. Great shot, Pete...

...nice....that's what I call SHARP.

I an now understanding why Ron Reznick likes this lens: in the typical Nikon top glass fashion, this (discontinued?) lens delivers smooth tonality & great shadow detail....giving pics that "3D" look.

Did you get yours used?

11. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Not in production any more

Nope got mine new, although not in production there are some left. I wanted the black version...seems to just disappear on the D70....and even those are around though far less than the silver.

Agree with you about the 3D look...tried a couple of shots of my kids and it had the same effect.

12. Peter: re that Noct....

Peter, do you have a Noct?
    If yes, is it a 7 or 9 (aperture)bladed version?

I'm trying to locate one, possibly at a decent price. The last 3 to appear on eBay were cancelled by the seller (can they do that after someone bids?!).

I've located one in the UK for $1500, but it is the 7-bladed version. I'm finding this price a bit steep, especially since it's a 7-bladed version.

I've been enquiring at a Danish store for 2 years, yet they won't budge from thier astronomical price. ($2150 !!)

I've been advised to go for the 9-bladed version, as it supposedly gives better bokeh & results.

Does anyone know if it's true?

C_M

13. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    C_M :

I'm John. The other responder is Peter. :tongue:

My Noct is a nine-bladed version. I couldn't comment on the bokeh of the seven-bladed versions, but the bokeh of the one that I have is exquisitely wonderous.

My Noct's not for sale at this time.

The pricing on these varies a lot place to place. I purchased mine privately, and I've been pleased with it. At this point in time, I very seriously doubt that Nikon will begin to produce Nocts again - speciality market, small numbers, very high production costs with hand polishing of the elements - and I so I went ahead and purchased one even though I was unsure about using it. Chance of a lifetime and all that sort of thing, eh ?

Purchasing these on eBay is a calculated risk. I purchased mine from a person I know and could trust implicitly. I would have been more hesitant to get the lens on eBay. To answer another of your questions, auctions can be cancelled by the buyer, but in theory, this can impact their ratings negatively.

I think the best policy with respect to buying a Noct these days is to be watchfully waiting and then pounce when a good one comes along. if you can get a seven-blade version at a great price, buy it, and if finances permit, get the nine-bladed one when you have the opportunity, then selling the seven-bladed one (likely at a profit, more likely without any loss). In the interim period, you'll be shooting with a Noct.

John P.

14. John...

Sorry about the name, John:Shy:

I'm thinking that $1525 is abit steep for the 7-bladed version.....(25yr old lens)....

....or am I being too wishful?
    (in other words, is the $1525 asking price reasonable or is it unacceptably steep?)

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    C_M :

Not a problem on the name thing - I just wanted to make sure we all knew who was who... :Crunk:

As for the price, I paid substantially less than that figure, but the lens came through another avenue. A store has to work with a different process than we do here at the Cafe, or through other fora. I guess it also depends on just how much you want the lens. If it's in fantastic shape and you can stand the "seven-blade" version, perhaps it's justified. Maybe. You might be able to bargain on it. Maybe.

On the subject of the age of the lens, I think you'll have to assess the quality of a specific lens before making a judgment. The Noct's production was stopped in '97 or '98, but the nine-blade version ran back to the early '80s. You could get a lens made in '95 that's been hammered, or one from '85 that's had loving care. Hard to tell over the internet what you're getting. In my case, the guy who sold it to me has impeccable credentials (in my mind) for a lens description, and I was comfortable with what he told me.

My lens falls in the middle of the pack for the AI-S series with a serial number of 188XXX, but it's in marvellous condition. I'm well content with the lens, and I look forward to metering with it on my next body (the D100 is entirely manual with no metering on this lens).

A couple of good resources for you are :

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/about/history/nikkor/n16_e.htm
    and
    http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

Be warned, though, that this is a perilous path you're treading here. Once you go down the Noct road, there's no turning back ! :eek:

John P.

16. regit

regit

Jan 31, 2005
    I have to concur with John on this :) I'm not ashame to admit that the Noct is my favourite Nikkor :)

17. Question about your nocts: Does the blades show some marks? My noct's blades show some marks. At first I thought it was oil but upon closer inspection it seems like the marks are from friction.

How about yours? Thanks in advance...

18. regit

regit

Jan 31, 2005
    My is pretty clean with no sign of friction...

19. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    NB :

No marks on mine.

John P.

20. Grr...

Stop it :smile:

You're making me envious...

I just can't find a Ai-S Noct at a reasonable price.

I've just received an email from denmark asking me 1695Euros for a Noct...yeah sure.

Aah, I guess I'll have to wait a bit more. It's been months on end that I'm searching, waiting a bit more won't hurt much....I hope:biggrin: