1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Working on B & W, CC Please

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by mksjjs, Aug 16, 2009.

1. mksjjs

mksjjs

Dec 29, 2008
    Taos, New Mexico
    Ok so I'm studying more on B&W. I've researched different tips, one mainly not just turning my image into grayscale, but rather desaturate and adjust. Well I took this image sometime back and thought it might look more interesting in B&W. Now what I've done is just a test, I've played and adjusted tones. I've read that B&W is more about grays than blacks. I could be wrong on that one. Anyway, tell me what you think. Thanks!!

3828997744_4b9f7a731e_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. On my monitor the front is underexposed. I would lighten it up a little. The sky and clods are washed out. Whiter clouds on a darker sky would work better. The image is rather flat. The mountains look drab. Maybe it can be improved with some PP work.

Maybe something like this:
    [​IMG]

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yer welcome Manuel!

For the curious, here is the adjustment I made. Note the posterization in the clouds - this is produced by curving an 8 bit image, so you should be able to do much better by working on your original NEF. (I hope that you shot in Raw!)

[​IMG]

4. mksjjs

mksjjs

Dec 29, 2008
    Taos, New Mexico

Learned my lesson a long time ago, camera always set to RAW!! Ok, ok, ok, maybe now and then jpeg+RAW.

5. IanT

IanT

May 14, 2008
    London UK
    Manuel, - I hope you do not mind...

I really like this image and could not resist having a little "tweak"...

p610902191-4.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I ended up with a very similar feel to Chris...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.