Working on B & W, CC Please

Ok so I'm studying more on B&W. I've researched different tips, one mainly not just turning my image into grayscale, but rather desaturate and adjust. Well I took this image sometime back and thought it might look more interesting in B&W. Now what I've done is just a test, I've played and adjusted tones. I've read that B&W is more about grays than blacks. I could be wrong on that one. Anyway, tell me what you think. Thanks!!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

On my monitor the front is underexposed. I would lighten it up a little. The sky and clods are washed out. Whiter clouds on a darker sky would work better. The image is rather flat. The mountains look drab. Maybe it can be improved with some PP work.

Maybe something like this:

Real Name
Chris
I agree with everyone, as I thought last night, it needs more pop! Thanks guys!

Chris thank you for the kudos on composition as well as how you adjusted this image. It looks great! LOL Really I like it, it gives me a reference when I go back and adjust my images. It does have that Adams look and that's what I'm going for in my B&W. I have always admired his work!
Yer welcome Manuel!

For the curious, here is the adjustment I made. Note the posterization in the clouds - this is produced by curving an 8 bit image, so you should be able to do much better by working on your original NEF. (I hope that you shot in Raw!)

Manuel, - I hope you do not mind...

I really like this image and could not resist having a little "tweak"...

I ended up with a very similar feel to Chris...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom