World Trade Center collage

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Electromen, Sep 10, 2005.

1. I missed this month's challenge by 12 hours, so I 'd like to post it here.
    What do you think?

The original photo was taken from the top of the World Trade Center in 1978 using 35mm slide film. The brides boyfriend died as a fireman in Tower #2. She left NY a week later and moved to Pittsburgh, Pa. to stay with a friend. She never returned.

She met a friend of mine (also a Fireman and ex Marine) last year, they married this year. I photographed the wedding as a gift. This collage shows a view from the WTC of the Brooklyn Bridge. The bridge leads to a photo of her friend and Maid of Honor. It symbalizes her new life here, leaving Manhatten.

I used Photoshop CS. The steps are too numorous to list.

24110WTC-photoshop-fixed-sepia.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005
  2. Here it is again in black & white. Which is better Sepia or B&W

[​IMG]

3. What a powerful and emotional tribute! I prefer the B&W version, Greg. The whites in the first one look blown and they are better in the second version.

How many layers did you use on this one?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Thanks, I liked the B&W better also. Just two layers. It's the first time a tried something like this.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Nice powerful collage Greg! I actually liked the somber effect the 'sepia' toned picture had. The b&w looks a bit flatter to me, especially in the bridge area.

I have some photos of and from the wtc myself. They are terrible photos, all taken with disposable cameras. But I will never get rid of them, they represent an unreproducable lovely yet terrible memory. One through a window in the Best Bar in the World shows the Statue of Liberty in the river. You need to be told it's the statue before recognizing it.

Thanks for sharing this.