Worn Down By Time

Discussion in 'People' started by greyflash, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Two images from my trip to Italy. They were both taken in San Gimignano. The first one is of an elderly couple that has been Worn Down By Time and yet are still out walking and holding hands. The second depicts a tourist reading a guide book while unknown to her a funeral is going on in the background. The title of this image is Life Goes On. Comments always welcome.

Worn down by time:

Color version:

Life goes on:

2. Two great life's observations and concepts well executed.

3. Thanks Thos., I was struck by the incongruity of the funeral picture and of course the old couple was kind of cute as they held hands.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Gordon,

Images and titles. Good eye.

5. They perfect, really....the pictures, the captions, everything. They both speak to me, and I really like them a lot!

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I want Patrick and I to be that first couple one day...that's how I imagine our love when we are old...as strong as it is now!

The second picture really struck me hard...first, the tourists' bright colored shirt is so stark compared w/such a somber backround. Also, it amazed me that she could be so oblivious to what was going on just a few feet behind her. I'll never understand some people.

Thanks for sharing, Gordon.

7. Thanks Gale, Sommer and Leigh, you are three of my favorite ladies. The first image is poignant in that it conveys an undying love in spite of age. The second image does show a certain callousness but in the tourist's defense, the door to the church just opened and the pallbearers came out immediately. I don't think the tourist lady even had an idea about what was going on behind her.

8. Wonderful, Gordon! But let's make it three. I found this fantastic portrait in your Galleria Italia:

original.

Come to think of it, you took several pictures of young Italian beauties, like this one.

original.

But what photographer could resist... if his wife wasn't looking? ;-)

9. Thanks Frank, here is the rest of the story:

This couple was cute and were happy to pose for me. I have sent them an email with their image. The second one was while on the beach and this young girl appeared. I would guess by the friends she was with that she is about 15. They grow up quick in Italy.

10. Gordon,

The picture of the couple holding hands is very very touching to me, for similar reasons that Leigh articulated. It's always been my metaphor for a long-lasting relationship.

All your Italy photos are sensitive and insightful. Beautiful work.

Best wishes,

David

11. Thanks David it is nice to see an older couple like this holding hands. I'm glad that you liked my galleries.

12. manishg

manishg

Jul 22, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I love the older couple photo. Together they help each other in the walk of life.

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Gordon - Those are GREAT!!!! You do people so well.

I especially like the couple and the girl that Frank outed you with, but the others are equally well executed. In fact, now that I look at it more, the funeral picture is so very expressive in the differences in the various people involved. A real slice of the whole life thing! Thanks for showing these.

14. Manish and Chris, thanks so much for your comments. Chris you are always so thoughtful with your comments. I really like taking images of people. That is my favorite area of photography.