Critique Worship at some forgotten temple in Bangkok

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by the_traveler, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Quite nice! I see repetition of triangular shapes and a layering effect...the lady, the pink floral decorations and the buddha. And the horizontal lines of the bench and the altar. The lighting also directs our attention to the woman and buddha.

I do find her purse distracting, especially because of the light color. Nothing you could do about that! LOL!

As always.....cropping is a very personal decision!!!

I would suggest a slight crop off the bottom to show just a bit of rug below her since the rug pattern is quite strong and competes with the rest of the image. This also eliminates some of the dark dubbha along the right hand edge.

A more severe 1:1 crop would remove some of the rug and purse, except for the strap over her shoulder. But then you lose much of her body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks for both looking and taking the time to comment.
    I learn something every time.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

4. I loved the Temples at Angkor and plan to go back when my life situation allows. My plan for the next episode in my life is to go to Southeast Asia for a few months, see more of Cambodia, southern Laos, western part of Thailand, northern part of Myanmar - all the places I missed while traveling there.
    I lie in bed at night and plan.

5. Darn, someone would go and suggest a crop! That's the hardest thing for me to do to my own pictures, let alone someone else's! But here goes. Since I love the caption so much, I'd crop it just about or below Buddha's shoulders. That would make the 2 statues equal in importance and put the focus on the woman and her leaning to the left -- "hmmm, which one should I pray to?"

My 2 cents. Provocative as always Lew, and much appreciated!

6. Nick,
    You said something that I wanted to refer to. My intent is always to shoot a picture that gives people something, that draws them in to wonder something.
    It doesn't have to be big, but I want there to be something beyond pretty or editing,
    I am invested in content and the editing just needs to support that.
    I'm certain that my pictures mean much more to me because I was there and so they are really cues for memory.
    But I do hope to stir something in any viewer.

Critique - Cycling to the foot of the hill in Pindaya

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I like the balance in the image and contrast of subjects in the image, foreground subject sitting, back subject sitting, The image is divided into two parts, Buddah, vs guest, major minor, close and near forward facing, rear facing, all of that creates a balance to the image.

8. I agree--provocation is important to me. Also, I want my pictures to show that I've noticed something about a landscape (what I typically shoot, broadly defined) that most others didn't see, or did see it but it failed to register. Pretty is typically not a complement for me. It is far easier, and less satisfying (to me) to make a picture of a great and iconic landscape, than it is to capture the "unseen" about something mundane.

Your willingness to critique and be critiqued is indeed refreshing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I hope folks notice that during the past 4-5 months I generally only comment on images with the critique icon.

10. I hope that there is a follow-up to the idea of making it easier to always have the critique icon on.
    I don't learn anything if people only say I like it or say nothing.

11. I agree that a small amount of judicious cropping might improve the image, as suggested above. But what bothers me most is the extreme contrast and the bright reflections; it looks like direct flash was used. I would reduce the highlights quite a bit and maybe balance the shadows.

The composition is very nice, and much better than just a photo of the Buddha alone.

12. I guess if one wants to crop out everything that does not belong in our minds of these people and we want to present them as it was in those early times, If the blue item is cropped why not the blue what looks like a plastic washing basket. For me what is shown is reality. Nice work Lew.

Cheers

13. Reality is a cruel mistress, right?