Worth buying a V2?

I've often thought about it, and there are some available in Oz now, refurbs from Nikon, and I must confess I am tempted. Advantages over the V1?

I upgraded from V1 to V2 a few years ago. The V2 has much nicer controls that behave more like a regular camera. It also has higher pixel density which is nice if you use it as a teleconverter with the FT-1 adapter.

On the whole though, I think the Nikon 1 system is pretty dead now. I'm actually not using my V2 much anymore.

Cheers

Mike

Depending on the cost I think it would be a nice addition to your Nikon V1. Being a refurb you'd have a warranty so no worries buying used.

I don't feel the Nikon 1 system is dead. It will only be dead to me when my cameras stop working. I'm pretty sure Nikon says it's dead.

Long live the Nikon 1. :snaphappy:

Decisions, decisions. Maybe I should just be grateful I have a couple of good ones already. The V1 does do an excellent job. And tehre is that J5 calling me.

I only have experience with the V1, but I've thought about getting one of the later models. From the reviews I've read (Thom Hogan primarily) the V2 and V3 have improved controls and higher resolution sensors but no better high ISO performance. High ISO is the biggest performance complaint. Again from the reviews, the last J series model (J5) has an upgraded BSI sensor and has the best ISO performance. The anticipated V4 with that sensor never materialized.

Real Name
David
Decisions, decisions. Maybe I should just be grateful I have a couple of good ones already. The V1 does do an excellent job. And tehre is that J5 calling me.
I've often though about the J5, looks like a real nice body. But when it came out there were already concerns about the future of the system so I couldn't bring myself to buy one since I was already into m4/3s. But if the system works for you, why not. The V2 seems to have greatly improved handling over the V1, though I really haven't spent much time with either. Size and image quality (I would think) favor the J5.

I have the m4/3 GM5 (actually just re bought it) specifically for it's small size even though it's also "old" now. Its the same size as the J5, like .2mm in length and width. The size is just SO convenient.

Attachments

I agree, David, that J5 does look decent, and I dont have any other ILC mirrorless cameras except my Nikon1 stuff. I don't need any "professional" gear, I just have fun with it, and if its not in development anymore... meh. The only thing that ticks me off somewhat is the tendency for Nikon to keep charging full RRP for its gear, long after development has stopped. I'll only buy refurbs now. I'm also currently looking at some additional prime lenses from Opteka. I just cant afford the Nikon1 32mm so am looking at alternatives.

Almost all of my Nikon 1 kit has been bought used. The only exception being the 10mm F2.8 that was being cleared out by a shop who stopped selling the Nikon 1 line. For $49 USD I couldn't resist.

Now that the last nail is being hammered into the Nikon 1 coffin people are selling off gear. If you keep an eye out there are some deals to be had. They are still good cameras & every bit as good now as when they were released. Happy hunting.

One of the pluses of the V1 model is that it takes the EN-EL15 battery used in a bunch of current Nikon cameras.
Yeah.. but I only have Nikon 1 J1 and V1, no Nikon DSLR (I'm a Pentaxian for now) and I have a Nikon P610, different battery again.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom