1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Worth it to upgrade to D700 now or wait till replacement?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by TheShotLessTaken, Aug 18, 2009.

1. TheShotLessTaken

TheShotLessTaken

Oct 2, 2008
    SoCal
    Im thinking about selling my D300 and getting the D700. I really want Full frame and a normal view with 50mm 1.4 lenses, etc. (I wish nikon made a 35mm 1.4g)

But is it worth it now with a D700x or D800 or w/e its gonna be called around the corner? With more than likely a 1080p movie mode.

let me know.

Frank

2. Flynn

Flynn

Jun 28, 2009
    Livermore, CA
    Had the same reservations. Came to the conclusion that the replacement will cost at least $3k which is $700 more than I paid and out of budget for me (with the expense of dumping the DX glass). My guess is that a 700s will run $3k+ and a 700x would be pushing $4k+ due to the sensor.

And who know when it will come out?

The video on my D90 was nice, but after considering the additional stress it puts on the sensor, I did not want to go there with a more expensive camera.

3. Rob Zijlstra

Rob Zijlstra A Koffie Drinker

Nov 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    Well, we got a nice proverb in the Netherlands:
    'Als je nooit een fiets koopt, leer je nooit fietsen.'

Roughly translated as:
    'When you never buy a bike, you'll never learn how to drive a bike.'
    Meaning: when you wait for the next model, and then buy that one, you do not make sense, because the model after that one is even better, and the model after that one is even better and the...
    The D700 is such a great machine that you'll happily shoot thousands of wonderful pics with it before the next model comes out.

Don't worry, go shooting photographs. Much better for your heart!:smile::smile::smile:

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    You're missing a lot not shooting with the D700 now and buying a D700 replacement in the future won't make up for all those photos you'll have missed.

It's up to you to decide whether that's important enough. Being worth it really means different things to different people. If photography is just a hobby for you and you don't feel that there's something your D300 can't do then wait. If you feel limited by it now than change.

5. Thats very true. Tools for the job is whats needed, nothing more reeally!

6. LSSE

LSSE Guest

I'm somewhat confident nikon will put 1080p video with mpeg4 on the replacement instead of falling back to the soft looking motion jpeg. but they have been stupid before so I'm not making a move of selling my current one until the specs are out and confirmed.

if video is important to you it makes sense to wait at the very least for some confirmation. It is after all supposed to be here by the end of the year if you belive all the rummors.

you have a pretty decent camera already so it isn't like you're holding off to a coolpix and missing stuff.

7. Tim W

Tim W

Mar 10, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Don't really know the timeline for new models, but the release of the D300s is not going to help the price of your D300, so I'd dump it now if I was in your shoes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.