1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Worth worrying about: The Deepening XQD Card Mystery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Palouse, Jul 23, 2018.

1. ...apparently some of the patents for XQD are now owned by a "rogue" South American subsidiary of Sony who wants Lexar and everyone else to pay licensing (the word Nikon Rumors uses is "ransom") to use it

This reminds me of when William Henry Fox Talbot officially released his process called the Talbotype, also called the calotype, in 1841. Though it had many advantages over the Daguerreotype, the Daguerreotype won out partly if not entirely because Talbot licensed his product. The French government bought the Daguerreotype process and made it available for free to almost everyone, the British being a major exception.

2. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    XQDs seem to be both robust and reliable. If someone buys a camera which uses XQDs, they probably simultaneously order sufficient cards for a couple of days shooting and may never need to buy another card during the lifetime of that camera.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thornton

Thornton

Jun 4, 2018
    Norwich, UK
    Bryan Thornton
  4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    This is very old information.....they start by referring to an upcoming show in January 2018. Reader comments are largely 9 months or older.

5. william hortis

william hortis

Nov 30, 2013
    Am I wrong in thinking this form of memory is only waiting for the last rites?,fortunately I am not a Pro so my D850 second slot can remain empty surely it can't survive on high usage only.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  6. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I am confident that Sony will continue to make these cards because they offer larger buffers, faster read/write speed and are both robust and reliable. For high-speed continous shooting (sports and wildlife; and for video) XQDs are greatly superior to the old CF cards.
    I prefer to use only XQDs now and want my cameras to have twin slots for two of them.

7. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    All memory cards are on their last rights, just some more so than others. Card speeds have almost gotten to the point where faster cards are meaningless to most of us. There is a new SD standard that will enable a card with 178 TB of storage, why some one would buy one is beyond me today.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    Well, if I am shooting a Nikon D850 uncompressed RAW only...and some events I've shot, just one day I run 3000+ pictures, I get:
    51.6 megabytes * 3000 = 154.8 gigabytes

Some people shoot RAW + JPG...and on top of that you'll have some situations where you do not have the ability to offload....

Basically - choices.

9. Specfoto

Specfoto

Oct 3, 2017
    SoCal
    Jim
    Actually the XQD and/or CFexpress are now rumored to be in the new Nikon Mirrorless. I wrote ProGrade Digital a couple of months ago about making new XQD cards, since Sony now had a monopoly and jacked the prices up by 1/3, but they said they would not be providing any cards in the XQD format. Instead they said "We are actively engaged with Nikon for firmware testing and compatibility for XQD card slots upgraded to accommodate the CFexpress format. We are hopefully optimistic to see CFexpress compatible cameras available in the 4th Quarter of 2018."

From the 1st part I get that the D5, D500 and D850 camera would be able to be upgrade their XQD slot to accept CFexpress. But knowing how bad Nikon is with firmware updates, I bet only the D5, and maybe the D850, get the upgrade. D500 owners will most likely be out of luck, just like they were with the recent 9 point Dynamic C-AF upgrade that the D5 received, but the D500 did not. And the 2nd part confirms what the Nikon Mirrorless rumors are saying about the card type.

10. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I was simply referring to the article you provided a linked to.......

11. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    Help me here, just how many Terabytes of storage do you have on your computer? A computer with 2 or maybe 4 are not to uncommon, but the computer for a guy who needs or could use a 178 Terabyte card would be something like 400 to 500 Terabytes. Where would one find such a thing?

BTW at 55 MB per image a 178TB SD would hold 3,236,363 images. Have fun editing. :) 

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    I'm just pointing out that some people will need this as the "want" for bigger mp cameras comes about. I've got clients now asking for times lapse photo and video of some processes that can take up to 2-3 hours per day and run for 30 days. It is not inconceivable that I would get a lot of images in said scenario.

regardless of how many images are on the card, you can always just pull off what you need. That is why professionals in sports and news media love using photo mechanic. They don't have to do a full dump, they can just pull what they need for the moment and format the card later.

13. I've never understood why some people shoot uncompressed raw... What's the benefit over lossless compressed?

Thanks

Mike

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    I don't know why either...as I never do, but hey...its there for those that wouldn't buy the camera otherwise. I'm sure it probably has some quality bearing for 4k/HDR displays or print options....but the majority of us are still outputting 8bit JPGs, which have a limited output range anyway.

I do have some people that shoot in my neck of the woods and they refuse to buy a camera unless the RAW output is 1000 bit uncompressed RAW goodness. :D 

15. Putting that much memory at risk of being lost is kind of dumb. Remember this and write it in stone somewhere. EVERY SINGLE memory device ever manufactured WILL FAIL. The actual time to failure is a rating that is supplied to the customer. Pay attention.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Why shoot uncompressed instead of lossless compressed?

I believe that there have been many tests which shows that there is no difference in the files. There have been a few reports of corrupted files but whether or not that was entirely due to using compression was never established as far as I know.

However, because I have plenty of large-capacity cards and cameras with twin slots, I never bother to use compression.

I do always have my MBP with me (plus several external USB drives) and download (and make a back-up as well) every night or as soon as it is convenient after I fill a card so using Compression is unnecessary in my case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.