Would it be wise to wear that on my belt?

In the time we live in would it be wise to wear that on my belt (Soligor spot meter with zone VI holster)

Manuel exposure, white in the shadow put on zone VII

dscn4185filtered1id.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Without a doubt in my mind...the answer is NO...unless, of course, you want to get a rise out of just about every law enforcement person that sees you. You will be spending more time answering questions in a little room with a light shining in your face than shooting images which is what you intended to do the whole time.

Gilles said:
In the time we live in would it be wise to wear that on my belt (Soligor spot meter with zone VI holster)

Sort of like shouting "fire" in a crowded theater to exercise your freedom of speech.

I've considered a pistol grip for my D2X 300mm f/4-TC combination to help steady the lens and was reminded by a few colleagues that in today's "world" it might not be a wise thing to do.

Rich

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Something like that is just inviting trouble! I try to keep my picture shooting days peaceful, relaxing and with the least amount of stress involved.... That looks like a stress invitation!

Sadly, I would tend to agree with the other forum members. Last thing you want to do is get shot up because some cops thought you were pulling out a gun.

I can see them questioning someone who might shoot at you, for "great justice"....

"Whoops but he looked like some armed and dangerous person... I mean look at the size of that weapon he had alongside that handgun!"

"Sir, that is a Nikon DSLR"

"Oh my goodness, that sounds like a Weapon of Mass Destruction! Good thing I took him down!"

"No, it's a camera."

"Oh... I didn't know they made them so big."

I think it's pretty sad our society has come down to this level though. Ah well. :(

In Texas we have liberal concealed carry laws for handguns.
Brandishing just isn't smart. It first glance I surely thought "1911 Colt". So would any law enforcement personnel.

Just like my handgun....concealed means concealed.

Then again...if you like the attention....you're not breaking any laws.
OK...test....what does this body language mean????

medium.jpg

Perhaps if you are a lonely guy who enjoys cavity searches?

Otherwise no.

If you do carry it, defintely pair it with the camera bag that looks like a ticking bundle of dynamite with an alarm clock and your "I like to blow things up" T-shirt.

Well the libertarian part of me wants to say go out and wear it with pride. Of course most metropolitan areas prohibit the display of firearms and that certianly looks like one, so you would likely have some trouble. Too bad. Come up to Alaska and you can wear that thing all over the place (maybe not Anchorage) but some folks might give you a hard time for not having a gun in that holster :wink:

I guess I'll vote for it depends. You need to know your situation. Places like Arizona that have open carry laws it would be fine. I went to lunch with someone at a sub shop and he had his 45 in a holster on his hip and no one even blinked. If you were in the back country where you are not likely to encounter anyone why not wear it. On the other hand you might entice a cavity search if you wore this in a subway in NY. I would not take my camera to photograph a nuclear plant, that is just inviting police involvement. Would it be legal in all these situations probably yea would it be wise probably not. So I guess I have to say it depends on the situation.

Adolfo

K

Ken-L

Just for some analogies...... In some jurisdictions, someone needs to only think you have a weapon, for a charge of "assault with a deadly weapon", or "armed robbery" to be applied. That there is no weapon doesn't matter, only the perception matters. If someone says, "Give me your money or I'll shoot you", even if no weapon exists, they can still be charged with "armed-robbery". And, in the extreme, all it takes in some jurisdictions, is that someone "thought he was armed" when he "asked me to step out of the way"......

My Opinion

If you think it is a good idea......

Why don't you try wearing it on a commercial airliner first.

While we are at it, does anybody question teaching a 14 year old girl how to use fire-arms?

Where are we headed anyway?

GenoP

Nikon D2h ,Nikkor 105mm f/2D AF DC
1/2000s f/2.8 at 105.0mm ISO200
original.gif

Geno, I don't know if you believe in the right to bear arms or not. Either way I think education of youth in the safe handling of them is important. It may be that girl who knows to speak up when someone is playing with Dads handgun at a party. If more children knew gun safety we could stop some of these accidents from happening. In our society (USA) there are guns, it is not something that is going to change anytime soon. We should prepare our kids to deal with them. Geno, if I misunderstood your intent then I apologize. I will get off my soapbox now.

I think it would be better to hide my holter in my camera bag I guess it would save me some trouble.

dscn4190filtered8qg.jpg

K

Ken-L

Re: My Opinion

GenoP754 said:
While we are at it, does anybody question teaching a 14 year old girl how to use fire-arms?

GenoP

This is my nephew (age 14) having his first shooting lesson (with a .357 single action revolver) just last week.
I don't know about the young lady, but I know that he wanted to do this, and I'm okay with it. Boy or girl, man or woman, makes no difference to me.

We might philosophize over having guns in our society; movies, TV, books, criminals, police, hunters, target shooters, military. We might wish they never were, or that they might not be some day. We might hope that we and no one we know will ever be shot or have to shoot someone. I also hope that I or anyone I know would have the skill and tools necessary to defend themself or another if the circumstances ever arose that required it.

24685292_cd76a08da5.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom