Would keeping SB800 charged 24/7 decrease life of flash?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by cotdt, Oct 4, 2008.

1. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I want to use my SB800 for remote flash, so it will always need to be turned on. Would doing so kill the life of the flash, since the capacitors would always be charged up?

2. All you're doing is keeping a big capacitor charged from a low voltage source. Capacitors are pretty sturdy components if they aren't subjected to high voltage. I wouldn't be concerned. In fact, I'm not. My strobes are in remote mode 99% of the time.

3. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Thanks Uncle Frank

4. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    Well.... The AA batteries are maybe 6V for a pack of four, but they power an internal power supply that charges the capacitor to about 325 volts, which powers the flash tube. On the SB-800, this is the high voltage port below red lens on front, to connect a Quantum or Nikon high voltage power supply directly to the capacitor, for fast recycle.

Normal voltage wont hurt the capacitor, it is rated for it, and electronics is designed to run. But if you leave the SB-800 on all the time, it probably runs the batteries down quickly, like overnight or 24 hours - really whether it flashes or not. I have to use AC studio lights to do time sequences.