Would Kenko 2x work with Nikkor 105 micro?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Tim Z, Dec 23, 2005.

1. I have the Nikkor 105mm f2.8 micro, and I would like the option to use a 2x with it for some macro work. I cannot afford the Nikkor 200mm micro. How would the Kenko 2x converter work with the 105? Anyone use this converter with this lens?

I have both the TC-14E II and TC-20E II that I use with my 300 f4 AFS, but neither of those can be used with the 105 micro. :frown:

Also, would I need the Pro 300 DG for use with my 105mm, or could I use the less expensive 2x AF teleconverter. IOW, which one would be designed for use with a 105mm?

Thanks

Tim

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2005
  2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Tim,

As I have neither the 105 micro, nor Kenko's 2X, I shouldn't be answering this at all, but I do have Kenko's 1.4X teleconverter, which I use with the 180 f/2.8, which is also a 'screw type' AF lens like the 105. It works fine. I would guess that the more expensive and modern teleconverter would perform better in your application as well.

3. Thanks Chris

What do you mean by "screw type AF lens"? My 105 is a standard nikon mount. Guess I am not familiar with that term.

Can you see any disadvantages with occasionally using a 2x with the 105 micro?

cheers

Tim

4. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    All standard Nikon AF lenses (as opposed to AF-S) do not have a motor in the lens. Instead they are focused by a motor in the camera body. The coupling between the body and lens is a screw mechanism that is visible at about the 7 o'clock position when looking into the F-mount on the camera body.

5. Thanks Gerry

So if my current two converters will not work with the 105 micro, will the Kenko work with it (including AF)? And which Kenko is the right one for that lens?

Thanks

Tim

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yes - Kenko TCs work with regular AF lenses. Gerry had my definition right - 'screw drive type' vs AF-S. Kenko's lower priced TCs are older design and in the opinion of many, do not perform as well as their newer TCs (lower contrast and softer.) I think the older ones are called DG and the newer ones PRO, but I'm not sure about that. Either one should function with your lens. Of course if you are focusing and metering manually, you can try your Nikon TCs and see if they give you the effect you are going for.

7. Raindog

Raindog

Nov 26, 2005
    Asheville, NC
    If the 105mm is similar in build to my 90mm no teleconverter will work. The rear lens is not recessed enough to clear the front lens of the teleconverter.

8. Should work no problem Tim, the latest Kenko's work with af and af-s lenses, you can try a cheaper tc if you want I will even lend you my MC7 kenko if you want to try it, there is a degradation of the picture quality but if you fill the frame and don't crop it will be fine.

Here is an example of the Kenko MC7 with the Tamron 90 sp. There is a fair amount of cropping on this one but it was big for a Jumping Spider.

[​IMG]

9. It'll work. The Kenko pro 300 TCs will work with anything - seriously. I think they're the only teleconverters that are compatible with all non-MLU nikon lenses. (And that includes the 12-24DX! Yes, it will still AF, too!)

Ming

10. tmertz7765

tmertz7765

Nov 13, 2005
    Yes. They will work together as I have both the Nikon 105mm and the Kenko. The newer Kenfo will also AF with the lens.The only downside is that you give up a couple of stops. Make sure to use a tripod and/or focusing rail for the macro work. Trying to handhold is near impossible.

11. The Kenko converters work TU on all Nikon lenses! :biggrin:

JohnG