Would like a new iMac but...

I would like to buy a new iMac but am not in a great rush. The current design has been around for awhile so I imagine there must be something new in the works. Anybody care to speculate when a new model might appear? Isn't there a WWDC coming up soon?

Real Name
William Beem
There was a note on one of the rumor sites a couple of weeks ago that Apple may be redesigning the iMac. Eventually, such rumors become true. There's just no way to know when it'll happen.

One possibility is the WWDC in June for new product announcements, and another is MacWorld.

You can follow along the rumor sites at www.appleinsider.com, www.tuaw.com, www.thinksecret.com, www.powerpage.com, www.macrumors.com, and probably more out there.

Computers are somewhat like cameras... you could wait for the technology to get better and prices to come down, because they always do (especially right after the day you buy something)... But at some point you just have to jump in and get something because you could wait forever :)

Usually there are no big announcements of consumer products at WWDC, as that is a developers' conference. The iPhone will be making its debut in June and there are hints that there will be some changes made to the MacBook Pro -- possibly the LED backlit screens -- and there have been hints that there will be changes made to the iMac, too, but no specifics and no dates. We all just have to wait! My recommendation would be that if you need something now, buy it now rather than waiting and waiting for something which may not serve your needs as well. If you aren't in a hurry, then by all means wait and see what comes down the pike....

WWDC does bring new things, but generally it is pro line stuff because it is the developers conference. LAst year they introduced the Mac pro at WWDC. Most likely there will not be a new iMac, but maybe new MBP's.

I'm picking up a new 15" MBP soon, but not before WWDC or a MBP upgrade, which ever comes first. Connie's right, for the most part WWDC is usually about the next version of the OS and other software. But, I'm expecting some HW upgrades to come down the pike soon here, just based on how long Apple HW usually goes between updates. The Mac Mini is especially in need.

Hopefully Apple will soon be coming out with an ultraportable -- that's what I'm waiting for!
My guess is that is the 1st place the new HD's will appear on. It makes sense since they will consume less electricity and produce less heat. Maybe a nice 12 inch laptop to compete with Sony’s 13 inch laptops. My guess is that they will be out no later than the fall.

After that look for quad-core processors on laptops.

Connie,
I don't know if they really to be smaller than 12 inches. I'm configuring a 12 inch toughbook right now and I have to say it is a real royal pain in "you know where". The keyboard is microscopic and extrememly difficult to use. The tablet features are kind of nice though. I'm sure Apple can make a better version but I keep wondering if there is really a demand for it.

Ron,
Are you sure you don't mean OLED?

Fred

There was a note on one of the rumor sites a couple of weeks ago that Apple may be redesigning the iMac. Eventually, such rumors become true. There's just no way to know when it'll happen.

One possibility is the WWDC in June for new product announcements, and another is MacWorld.

You can follow along the rumor sites at www.appleinsider.com, www.tuaw.com, www.thinksecret.com, www.powerpage.com, www.macrumors.com, and probably more out there.
Thanks for the links Bill. Interesting stuff. And thanks for the comments from everyone else. I like Connie's ultraportable idea. Maybe something about the size of a hardcover book.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom