Would like some C&C on my PP if possible

Discussion in 'People' started by leahp26, Sep 22, 2008.

1. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hello all

On vacation this week, hanging out with my friend and her daughter this afternoon - she is super cute, saying "Bye bye Beer" as I left...( I guess Leah is hard to pronounce!)

I'm trying to work on my PP and so I adjusted levels and contrast. Used the spot healing brush/clone on the little boogers (she just got over a cold!), used Sonya's "eye pop" technique, added a tiny bit of glow and sharpening

What do you think? Overdone? What would you do differently?

Here's #1 SOOC:
    p1047464731-3.jpg

Here's my attempt at #1 PP:
    p775771325-4.jpg

Here's #2 SOOC:
    p179918169-4.jpg

And #2 PP:
    p92252667-4.jpg - composition, lighting etc.

Thank you for looking :smile:. And although I'm primarily looking for PP feedback I'll take anything else you'd like to throw at me :wink:

2. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, Leah -- IMHO, you did a nice PP job. Both images are the better for what you did. And, a cute subject, too...

Best Regards,

3. Very nicely done, Leah. The eyes are a bit overdone and not so realistic, but, particularly in the 2nd shot, the treatment makes your cutie-pie subject look like one of Margaret Keane's waifs, which is a very good thing.

4. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Leah, I really like the 2nd one.

5. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    John - thank you! Your opinion is just what I am looking for!

Frank - I just googles Margaret Keane, sort of spooky big eye pix but interesting! Thank you! I was worried about overdoing the eyes. I think the eye pop alone was good but then when I bumped the contrast it took it too far

Linda - thank you very much - I LOVE your work so this means a lot to me

6. Nice work Leah. #2 really works for me, I think you did a great job. One thing I notice is that the eyes look darker in the edit. I think the added contrast may have had something to do with that. Not sure what I don't like with #1, maybe the composition, maybe coming back from such underexposure?

7. I always mask the original eye color back in after an edit like that. The second photo edit darkened her eyes too much. I'd just erase them back to their natural color and the pp is excellent. Great work!

8. nshape

nshape

Jul 25, 2006
    NB Canada
    SHe is a cutie, and i also like the 2nd one better.
    ...and i want to laugh because my husband was standing above me as i was looking...and he read the title of the post: i need some (see see) on my (pee pee)...and didn't understand the c&c on my pp...Ha!

9. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Lee-ann - too funny!! I know what you mean, I see posts like "Help my NAS, how is my PP, I'm looking for C&C, this is SOOC" and now know what they mean but it's taken me a while... maybe we need a NikonCafe Acronyms thread. In fact, maybe I'll go search and see if one exists!

Sonya - thank you. I LOVE your eye pop technique (and I probably go overboard sometimes). I think the contrast adjustment made them darker. So would I just use the eraser - wouldn't that take them back to their original state, not just the color? I'm familiar with masks but not sure how to do what you're suggesting - any tips gratefully accepted! Thank you!

10. Sorry to go against the tide here but I think that the PP has missed the mark.

IMO, the original has a blue tint (note the strong blue color in the sclera) and the delicacy in the skin has been lost in the PP.

I think that all that is really needed in this excellent picture is to correct the color balance, lighten the sclera and then judicious sharpening.

[​IMG]

11. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hi Lew - don't be sorry! I'm looking for all comments. I have a hard time seeing color casts so appreciate your input very much. Your version looks a lot more natural I think. Thank you. I have noticed recently when I go back to images after a while that people seem kind of blue/grey - I will have to watch this. I really should start shooting RAW maybe? Thanks again

12. You can try doing this by the numbers - Here's a good tutorial on achieving pleasing skin tones.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

If you don't use a calibrated monitor, you won't see what other people see.

Cheers,

Lew

13. Leah, I do the eye pop LAST on my photos, that way I have more control over the final look. BUT, I always do editing in layers so I can erase the eyes after every step so that the only eye correction is done at the end with the eye pop. Otherwise the eyes will turn darker with contrast adjustments, etc.

Lew, your edit is excellent!

14. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Sonya - understand now - thank you very much

Lew - you will be pleased to know that I just bought a monitor calibration device - will run it later - I think you're right. And thank you for the link, I think I read it once before but haven't really used the info - I will revisit.

Thanks again all

15. I don't like the composition of #1, but I like its PP. I find it very natural. This picture is quite difficult to crop. I'd try to make it a square.

I love the composition of #2. I like all your PP, except that the original eyes and color balance seem a little more pleasing.

16. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    Thanks for the link, Lew.

17. Hey, Leah,

Have to second what I'm reading here... love the images, but a bit troubled about the darkness of the eyes.

What a beautiful subject you have here! It will be hard to capture a bad image of this gorgeous child. Your PP tweaks are improving an already lovely shot. Well done!

18. Sidetrippin

Sidetrippin Guest

Me like the 2nd photos! It was the best for me.

19. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Thanks again everyone. I will erase in the original eye color in future after adjusting levels and contrast.