1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Would like your input on a 3rd lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by greyhound rick, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Hello Everyone,

Well, as usual, I come to you fine folks for advice and always appreciate the input!!

Right now, 95% of my photography is shooting racing greyhounds which I do about 5 nights per week, HOWEVER, I realize there is more to photography than just greyhound racing (isnt there??):confused:  :biggrin:

I have 2 lenses:

70-200 f/2.8

85mm f/1.4

Id really like to get something of the same quality in the 15-70 zoom range and would love to hear what you would recommend!

The lens would be used for basic all around shooting and I would like to fill the void I have right now not being able to go less than 70mm focal length.

thank you for all of your help!!:smile:

my best,

Rick

2. Well...

If I had the money right now - I'd get myself a 17-35/2.8 ... (but that's because I have a 24-70/2.8 already)

It really depends what you want to shoot - and which camera you use as well as your budget.

You want different and high quality with the best possible IQ and color rendition the 17-35 it is.

But if you want the same as above with more reach and extremely practical focal length - the 24-70/2.8 it is.

3. You seem to prefer fast aperture lenses. Perhaps something like a 35-70 2.8 or a 17-55 2.8 would fit the bill.

4. This is kind of tricky, because you've been contemplating changing from a d300 to a d3.

If you stick with the DX body, the 17-55 would come closest to your stated interests, but it's not a solution for a full frame body. So I'll suggest a 24-70/2.8 or the Beast (28-70/2.8). Neither is as wide on a DX body as you requested, but they would work on DX or FX, and give you an FOV that meets your specs on an FX body.

5. Depends on your body.

Crossover DX/FX - 17-35 2.8 and/or 35-70 2.8 (to cover the gap)
    DX only - 17-55 2.8
    FX only - 24-70 2.8/28-70 2.8

6. Great input as usual!!!

Step 1. Rent a D3 for a day

Step 2. Determine if Im going to purchase a D3

Step 3. Pick 3rd lens

Again, my appreciation to all of you for your time.

Rick

7. gunfighter48

gunfighter48 Guest

If you stick with the DX format take a look at the 16-85VR II lens. Very sharp throughout it's range and distortions is very well controlled. It's getting excellent reviews by testers and users. A little slower than the lenses you currently have but it's a great lens none the less.

8. 24-70 if money is no object and you envision FX in your future.... Judging by your two lenses, you like fast high quality glass, so you might be disappointed in the IQ of the slower lenses...

9. Rick, to echo what Rich said, 24-70/f2.8 would round out your cllection nicely. Covers the wider ranges you lack, is a quick focuser for your work, and is very sharp.

10. sheesh

sheesh

Sep 28, 2008
    singapore
    how about getting a D700 instead. use the savings to get a 24-70?

11. If you get a full frame, I would suggest either the 24-70 or 28-70 AF-S f2.8. If you are using a DX then the 17-55 AF-S is an excellent choice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.