Would someone explain???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Shellie, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Would someone please explain to me exactly what I have here? Are these two lenses considered good? My dad had them for years and when he went to medium format I got them.

Nikkor 70-210mm 1:4-5.6
    Nikkor 35-105 1:3.5-4.5 D

I've used them on my F100 and was happy with them. They don't autofocus on my D40X and I miss that. When taking photos of my kids it really helps to have the AF unless I'm doing portrait type shots.

I'd just like to know if they are considered good lenses.

I'm also looking for a new lense or two that will AF on my D40x. Any suggestions? Keeping in mind that most of my photos are of my kids and some scenery.

2. The 35-105 F3.5-4.5 push pull is a nifty little lens for the beach or walking about. It takes 52mm filters and is very good in the flare control department. I have one. It is also great for portraits.

3. It depends on what you are using as a benchmark. In general, these lenses are not considered stellar performers any means. But they are not slackers either.

I would recommend starting with the kit lens (18-55). It is an incredible value for money that performs extremely well for shooting people ("well" in terms of money you spent on them).

4. That's pretty much what I use it for... walking around.

5. Frankly, I didn't think of a benchmark. However, I am the person who likes the best even if I don't know exactly what I'm doing and am still learning. :biggrin:

I have the kit lens and like it when shooting my kids (lol... that doesn't sound so good does it? :wink:).

6. So, are you looking for extra reach or faster lens or for shooting something else? A little bit of insight into what the intended purpose of the new lens is going to be will help us provide more objective responses.

7. Faster and extra reach. I find the 18-55 does not get me close enough at times. I like taking candid shots and with the 18-55 it's more difficult. The subject often catches on.

We do a lot of traveling so I also want something for "vacation" type photos... scenery, people in the scenery... that type of thing.

8. 70-210 AF is great, sharp wide open especially at 70mm - at F8 it's just bleeding sharp. I love mine (I have the D version)

9. I like it too. What I don't like is that the AF doesn't work on my D40x and I have found that some pictures that I thought were fine were actually a bit blurry. I guess my eyes aren't what they used to be. :wink:

I love it with my F100 but I only use that very, very rarely now.

I don't know why my dad didn't buy the D version. Unless he bought this before the D version came out.

10. Are you referring to the constant F/4 version or the F/4-5.6 version? If the latter, which is what the OP has asked for, then your definition for "sharp" is certainly different from mine.

11. Logan

Logan Guest

what about the d80 kit lens, the 18-135... not exactly fast.. but has awide range, and is cheaper/more accessible than the 18-200 VR

12. Well, my dad has the non-D and I have the D version, they're pretty much the same other than the faster AF gears in the D version (reason I got mine, but doesn't matter on a D40 :wink:)
    "D" lenses are supposed to provide focus distance info for the Flash, since I haven't use my flash that much, can't say one way or another - for me, they're all the same: ROCKIN'

13. That's an option I hadn't thought about. I have the 18-200 VR on my list but I told my husband I'd wait awhile for it. I'm hoping I'll get it for Christmas if I don't get it before then. :wink:

So I guess that means I should wait and not get the 18-135.

14. The F4-5.6 version, the F4 constant version is definitely not sharp:
    http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/nikkor_70210_4/index.htm

I don't know what happened with your experiences regarding the 70-210 F4-5.6 but the 2 copies I had are steller. It's pretty close to my 70-200 VR both wide open and for the price I can't ask for more.