Would Sony ever cut Nikon dry?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cotdt, Jul 21, 2007.

1. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    We all know that Sony makes the sensors for Nikon SLRs. Now that Sony joined the DSLR market and has become a competitor, would they stop selling sensors to Nikon? Does that mean that Nikon will start using Fujifilm sensors from now on?

2. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    They won't due to the amount of business they would lose if they no longer had Nikon as a client. Plus, a lot of the R&D on their sensors is done by Nikon as they work on future products. This saves Sony money in R&D costs.

If they ever did have a separation with Nikon, Nikon wouldn't have a hard time finding a new vendor to supply them with sensors. Another company would jump at this opportunity as it would be very profitable for them.

3. marioni

marioni

Jan 22, 2006
    Once (if) Sony gets a big enough share of the DSLR market for themselves, they will cut Nikon out, no problem. But probably not until then..

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Problem is, with in-body image stabilization and already a big selection of good lenses, they might grow pretty fast. It's only a matter of time.

5. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    They've already had a year with the Alpha, I hardly ever hear a word about it and I never see it being used anywhere. I have a hard time believing Sony will take enough of the market from Nikon to make them pull their sensors. In addition to that, Sony is a huge company and the group that makes the cameras is a different corporate entity than the group that does the sensors. Sony semi-conductors sees Sony cameras as a customer the same as they see Nikon as a customer. Even if Sony had more of the DSLR market than Nikon, why would Sony's semi-conductor division drop the revenue generated by Nikon? Makes no sense to me. Even if they did, and Nikon had no place else to go, I would see the majority of customers going to Canon and not Sony anyway. Maybe Sony thinks that way, too?
    One more thought, Sony has a decent presence in the P&S market, why not stop selling those senors to Nikon to help their position?
    This discussion has been around since the day Sony announced the Alpha and Nikon is still getting their parts.
    It's early and maybe I'm not thinking clearly yet, but that's the way I see it.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    And Nikon is not the only buyer of sensors from Sony. If Sony were to do this then everyone else would start looking for other suppliers. No one would want to trust their supply of sensors to them.

7. Jonathan P.

Jonathan P.

Jul 10, 2007
    Appalachia
    I doubt Sony would ever refuse to take Nikon's money. It isn't likely that Sony will ever really compete at the professional level with Canon and Nikon.

I know a couple of people who looked into the Sony Alpha as a first SLR, and quickly said "no thanks." On paper, in-camera IS/VR looks great, until you realize that Sony's 70-200mm zoom (a standard lens for most professionals) costs $2400 (or at least $800 more than the competition)! So much for in-camera IS/VR saving you money on lenses.

Ultimately, like any business, Sony is in it for the money. Nikon makes Sony Semiconductor too much money for the former to be put out to pasture.

8. MB2006

MB2006 Guest

I had Alpha for a year , sony " in-body Image stabilization " sucks, so and lenses,
    lens DT18-200 $500msrp , POOR construction lens was FULL of dust inside !!!! reeaallyy slloww... auto focus and loud as hell ,people will hear you "mile" away.
    I expect little more from $500 lens.
    cant use manual focus because there is deference were your shot focused and what you see in viewfinder, ( alot of fun for macro)
    ISO noise awful , you cant use shot made at ISO 800 !!
    I know this is first DSLR from sony and next model will be beter but they still have long way to go .

just sold my Alpha and very happy .

:657:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2007
  9. Highly doubt it.
    If you just compare with other tech companies that sell other things to other companies that compete in the same market, it wouldn't make sense for Sony to do that.
    Imagine LG-Philips or Samsung stopped selling panels to other companies because they also sell LCD monitors/TV's?

10. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Unlikely. It's quite common for vendors who compete in business to provide each other components in a customer relationship. Cisco bought many components from Lucent, even though we both manufactured competing equipment (prior to the Avaya divestiture). Lockheed Martin, Boeing, and others are both competitors and customers of each other.

Would you cut off a profitable line of business based upon the "hope" of replacing it with your own product that doesn't have the same brand recognition of the customer you supplied?

11. sunchung

sunchung

Jun 12, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    You also have the problem of making sure you have enough volume to make the chip/sensor plants profitable. Usually, these types of factories have huge capital costs, and so you need enough volume to recoop the investments. Kinda like the car factories. That's why some of the American manufacturers sold a ton of cars at almost a loss - they had to continue to make cars for *some* revenue else you have tons of idle workers, factory, etc...

If Sony were to drop Nikon and others, each sensor Sony would make would cost a tons more.

12. hangman

hangman

Aug 13, 2006
    Lone Star State
    From a business perspective, Nikon is probably their biggest customer for their DSLR imaging chips. Cutting Nikon would ultimately be a business decision that would result in much lost of revenue. Just think of it ths way, almost every company (even Canon) use their ccd in their point and shoots. Makes no sense for them to cut them off does it? It doesn't make sense to cut Nikon off in the DSLR chip segment either.