1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Would ya?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taat2d, Jul 14, 2008.

1. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    If you wife was THINKING about buying you a nice expensive gift, you'd let her, of course.

She caught me looking at the D200/300. I joked saying to her look honey the D200 is ONLY $999 right now for the body . That's all I need, I already have lenses. She made a face but told me I could get it. I WAS JOKING WITH HER!!!! :cool: 

NO WAY am I going to tell her that!!!! Now would you hold out and try to get the rest of the money out of her for the D300 ( even though I'll never need it), OR just be happy keep your mouth shut and get the D200?

2. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    That sounds like the scenario with me and hubby about the D300. I was joking, and he was dead serious when he said I could get it.

Can't help you on your decision, since I've never had a D200.

3. Your mistake my friend was publishing her pictures on the Cafe last week and we all said--"wow, great pictures Joe!".

Now if you'd waited until today to share those pictures (after you shared this story with us!) we could have has said "Joe, those are terrible. What kind of cheap camera are you using? Get a D300, it is so much better suited to your style. It is amazing for portraits!"

:wink::wink::wink:

4. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    NOW you tell me THIS is the way to get her to go for the goods???? :eek:  Hehe

5. hmmmmm
    only you know what is best and what you ought to spend on a camera
    IF you think you CAN get the D300... then, do so
    it's a much better camera than the D200 (no offense to anyone.... i own a D200, myself)

6. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Ok how bout this. As I continue to learn and improve my photography skills with the D200 GROW with me? Or will it be something that I outgrow and regret getting?

7. I know we are talking $800 difference here, but the ISO and focus seems to be awesome on the 300. The 200 is a great camera, but if I was moving up I would jump on the 300, but then I to like to shoot in poorly lit places.

8. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    I'm going to be the party pooper here.

I upgraded from a D80 to D300 not long ago, and holy cow, it is a whole heck a lot more of a camera. The question I will always ask is - what is it about your current camera that holds you back from being a better photographer? What features does the new camera have that you're able to take advantage of immediately and every day that your current camera cannot do?

Upgrading your D80 to the next step, whether D200 or D300 is not an insignificant amount of money. So the practical side of me has to be able to answer the previous question in a completely satisfactory way before I feel justified in upgrading my camera. Thankfully, I felt like I was outgrowing my D80, and so my upgrade was justified to me.

Between the D200 and D300, there are quite a lot of threads in the camera subforums that debate between these two - they're very, very informative.

9. Is she really going to notice the 300 instead of the 200? If so, do you think she'll even remember you were initially talking about the 200? :wink:

10. I had the D80 like you and didn't think the D200 was so much of an upgrade. But when I saw the D300 I jumped instantaneously! That should tell you something...

I was quite happy with my D80 until the 51pt AF and better high ISO of the D300 came along. The D200 does not have either of these improvements... If all you want is a tougher body and 5 fps, the D200 may be sufficient - but I wouldn't spend $800 for that.

Cheers

Mike

11. I have the d300, my bride inherited the d200. They're both great cameras. D300 better in low light with high ISO, of course, and that wonderful display, but the d200 is a fabulous camera too. You can't go wrong either way, but if finances allow, go for the d300. JMHO

12. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Get the D300, and send the D80 to me, as a pity gift for a poor budding photographer :-D

13. HAHAHAHAHA. That just made me laugh.

Joe,
    If you're going for the D200 from the D80, you're going to have PLENTY of camera to adjust to (I mean, I think), and you could see it as, in the future, you can sell your D200 to fund for your D300.

OR...

You could REALLY sweet talk your wife into the extra cash for the D300.
    And then, see, I'd REALLY be suffering from camera envy because I'm busting my butt selling dog leashes and dog stuff (we sell dog leashes and various other dog-related items) to save for my D300.

But if you think she'll go for it, I don't know, maybe approach her and tell her that you honestly think you'll wait for the D300, it's only...what? $600 more, but it's that much more of a camera.
    If you try that, maybe she'll go soft and allow for the rest of the money for the D300?
    Maybe?
    I don't know your wife.:biggrin:

14. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Joe,

I think you're in luck. I believe that Nikon just discontinued the D200. You have no choice but to get the D300! :wink:

15. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    You should get it. I'm in a similar situation. The only thing stopping me is that I'm afraid the economy will tank soon and I'll need that $1629.99 to buy food and water to feed my family.

16. I would!
    I did!
    I used to have a D100 and was reasonably satisfied with it. A few Christmas's ago we got our son a D70 to replace his Coolpix 4500 that he'd outgrown. My daughter inherited the Coolpix and I now had 2 people to go shooting with. My son took a photography class in college (my old N80 came out of retirement) and as he developed his skills he also became more interersted and conversant in the tech aspects of the craft. So when the D2X came out they helped "lobby" my wife to let me get it, and my daughter who inherited the D100. She gave in very easily (I believe the agreement was she would get to re-do the backyard [still pending:eek: ]). None of us have regretted my upgrade, least of all my wife who has me do the shooting for all her professional work (she is a professor of Speech Pathology) and she loves to brag about my work :redface:.

The point is that when a spouse says yes, I sincerely believe they mean Yes, particularly when you haven't been demandingly dictatorial about it!

17. Another vote for the D300 Joe.

I just ordered the D300 after trying one out in a local camera store. It will be here Wednesday.

Just order the D300 and tell her you clicked on the wrong link by accident.:biggrin:

MikeT

18. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I have the D200...I say just get that. It's still a lot of camera.

19. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    I think that 300 would complete you :biggrin:

sell the 80 and the 300 should cost you 1000 in the end...that's a no brainer :cool: 

20. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    D300 all the way! It really is THAT much of an upgrade from a D200; being I own both I feel I am at least partially qualified to say such ;) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.