1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Would You...300 2.8?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jbear, Sep 12, 2008.

1. I had a 300 AF-I that I loved and sold to fund a D300. I just decided to sell some other things because I miss having the reach @ 2.8 and the tc performance. I am considering the Sigma 120-300HSM in this role. Think that's a good idea or am I going to be disappointed have gotten used to the wide-open quality of the AF-I lens. I can wait for another AF-I, but...who knows. I had a 300f2.8HSM prime and it never excited me although I can't say it was a poor performer. I know the Tokina ATX II and Pro are sharp, but they have CA issues and I don't know that I will have fast enough focusing for what I need esp. w/ a tc. I really don't want to sell a 200AFD micro to fund an AF-S I.
    Of course, I have to make the decision but I do respect opinions here, so...birds and wildlife...that's the application.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  2. I would and I did....(I am the happy owner of a Nikkor AF-I 300mm f/2.8).
    I have shot with several versions of the Nikon 200/2.8 and the quality is uniformly outstanding, so is the build (like a tank!).
    I have no experience with other makes, but if it were for me I would stick to Nikon glass for this one.
    Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.