Would you be mad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GBRandy, Jul 25, 2007.

1. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I was asked to take two team photos of our local girls softball teams...U12 & U10 group shots. They are sponsored by the Local fire department and one of the coaches arranged to have us use a fire truck as a background...cool.

I got there and every parent had a point & shoot camera. I arranged the kids / coaches and as I set-up to take my shots the parents were firing away....it got so bad I had to ask a few of the parents to move out of the way so I could get my picture done.

Should I be upset....or is this normal stuff?

2. Just be content in the knowledge that your results are far superior to theirs. :)

Wedding photographers have to put up with this all the time.

Ronnie

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I went to a wedding in early July, the couple had four photographers and two videographers to cover the event. Throughout the reception as the photogs were working hard, I could not believe how many people had brought their P&S cameras. It was very distracting seeing continual flashing throughout the room. I don't know how wedding photogs earn a living, I'll bet they sell very few re-prints these days.

4. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    People using PS cameras during a wedding ceremony is just disrespectful, especially if the flash is on (which it normally is).

To your problem, I would have asked the parents to not take any pictures while you were, and that they could after you take yours.

5. When I was at a church function the photographer politely asked the Parents to hold off taking pictures until he was finished. He all so told the parents That he would keep the children in position after he was done so they could take their pictures.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I don't think it's reasonable to ask guests at a wedding party (ie, reception) not to take pictures. Sorry pros and pro-wanna-bes, that's just the way it is nowadays - everybody is a photographer. During the ceremony, it's another story.

Randy, in your situation, I have seen where the 'official' team photographers have cordoned off an area to do the team and player shots.

7. The answer to your question is yes... and yes. I'd be upset. And it's normal that parents react that way. Given that you were the "official" photographer at the shoot, it would be well within your authority to ask all the parents to hold off until you finished. Most, if not all of them, would cooperate.

8. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    That's what I see done at weddings a lot..when they're shooting the different family combinations, and they have a strobe working as a slave..all the P&S cameras fire off the flash, and mess them up.

9. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Sorry, ceremony is what I meant to say.

10. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    That's a good idea...I will use that next time. I sold two of the teams pix so far so I guess not everyone got the shot they wanted..... :)

11. GBRandy, that would have urinateded me off a bit too. I wouldn't have hesitated in asking them to act like adults for 5 minutes and let me take the photo that had been requested and set up though... sometimes children need to be set straight, no matter what their age.

I do take pictures during wedding ceremonies, but I don't use flash, and I only focus on the cute things the children do while the adults are being serious... I don't take any pictures of the bride and or groom, all the point and shoot flashes would most likely just blow out my shots anyway... besides, I like to lay low and get candids, if anything, that's what I do best.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  12. I know I'd be mad! In the future, I'd pre-arrange with the coaches to have the professional stuff done first and then let the crowd have their pics. I've seen wedding phtographers do that too. Anyway, I feel for ya!

13. Yes! Then you could have demonstrated how powerful the water hose is on the "less cooperative" amongst them. :biggrin:

14. When my kid was having group basketball photos done by a "pro", he asked me to not use my flash until he was done. No biggie. I obliged. Everyone was happy. I think.

15. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Well, I'm coming in from left field here. Yeah I guess I'd be upset but, in all honesty, if I was there with my P&S and my kid was in the line-up, I'd shoot.

It's what proud parents do. It's their child. And, forgive me but no-one, photographer or otherwise, is gonna tell me I can't take a pic of my child.

However I do agree that, for the pro stuff, the coach or whoever should have lined them up somewhere a little more private for you to do the good stuff.

EDIT: I would however, do my level best not to get in the pro's way but would still take my shots.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  16. I think it is par for the course.

17. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Interesting. So as hired professional most of you have no problem lugging in your gear, studying the light, location & backgrounds, organizing the little bundles of joy and as you get ready for your money shot, 23 P&S cameras go off behind / next to you to capture the moment?

My reaction was why the heck am I here? A wedding guy gets paid up front...my stuff is sold after the fact...perhaps I need to change that going forward.

I was asked to go because my action shots during the season far outweighed anything the little point & shooters could do....so in that scenario I really don't care about the competition. My 70 - 200 f2.8 & 300 f 2.8 is just more than they can handle....but this mess yesterday? Hummmm some of these folks are happy sucking down the display only image I post and printing at 8 x 10....

It will be interesting to see just how many pictures I sell. I sold two to the coach that arranged the session.....bet I don't sell but one more.

I'll report back.

18. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Did you put a watermark on the display only image?

19. Randy,

I had a similar experience this year, including parents sobbing and telling me how special my pictures of their kids are…and asking me to make a special trip about a hour out of my way (each way) to take senior night pictures at a game. Short version, the website got hammered; I let them use low rez images in a movie for the seniors, and didn’t sell a single thing. Funny, because they call me and wanted me to show up at all the game. I’m really not that upset (even at all the P&S at senior night)…live and learn I guess. Next year I will politely have to explain that all I am really after if recovering what I have invested in my time (travel time, gas, shooting, processing), and since they bought nothing…my balance sheet is way in the negative.

Photography is just not a specialty to most people. At least I think is must not be based on the parents that handed me their cameras and asked me to help them take pictures like mine.

Admittedly, a good portion of my problem was my fault. I wanted the parents to have access to pictures of their kids…I love sports…photography is just a hobby, and I didn’t push them for the sale. Rant off…sorry!

20. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Randy , I feel for you.

Roping off the area until you are done and asking no flashes be fired is a good solution.
    Discuss the situation with the folks that hired you.
    You charge xxx per hour.:>))))blah blah and so forth
    Gotta be a solution

Or get paid up front maybe.