Would you buy this picture?

This is a retorical question, I am not selling it here.

I would like some serious critical feedback on whether this is a picture you would hang on your wall. Be critical if you need to, it won't hurt my feelings.

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thank you

Scott, I will assume you want honest feedback so here goes. I probably would not buy it. Why, the blue is too bright and fights for attention when the real subject is the pastel pink tulips. The white flowers just add another distracting element. Were it mine I would try desaturating the blue channel some and see if this improved the overall look of the image. IMHO

Thanks Gordon,
That is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. I would appreciate any second or additional opinions as well, if you agree with Gordon, I would be interested in hearing this, if you have a different opinion, I would also appreciate it.

It seems that frequently two or more people will look at art and interpret the art in their own unique way. As my signature says, I enjoy praise but need critiques.

Thank you very much

OK, here goes (I was always known as being the outspoken one on NTF at DPR so I might as well keep up my reputation!).
All of these words come from the deepest part of my heart - there is no malice existing there at all.

I would not buy it. Doesn't have punch. The blue overpowers the pink. The white overpowers it all. The perspective is just normal. Scott, I know your talents, and this does not show them at all. This is more like "Aunt Matilda got a new camera and went to the flower show". You might be viewing this picture differently because you were behind the lens and saw the whole scene with real-time eyeballs, but you asked me my opinion about the picture. I know what you're capable of, and this does NOT show it.

I was at an independant artists' show last fall. I fell in love with an oil painting by a very 'green' artist and I bought it in a heartbeat. She asked me what made me be willing to plunk down the dolleros for that particular painting over the others. I told her that the one I bought had depth, I felt 'pulled' into the painting, the others seems like third party observers. We went thru photos of her portfolio and I pointed out the ones that moved me, and she told me that those were the ones that sold very quickly while the others sat. She told me she never really looked at it like that - what strikes the eye of the stranger!!!???

This does NOT mean that this is a bad picture, not at all. But you wanted to know if I'd be willing to put hard earned dollars on the table to put this pic on my wall. Stick that lens inside that tulip, fill it full of pink, with black stamen - give me drama, give me macro, give me lighting variations, give me the scent of the tulip filling my senses when I gaze at your photo. THAT I will pay to put on my wall. I do, dearly, hope I've not offended you but hopefully have explained by opinions as honestly as I can.
Cheers, Sandi

Hi Sandi, Gordon and Greg,
I am sitting reading this with a big smile and even a chuckle. I know that it goes against the grain to critisize another member, especially not knowing one another, in most cases beyond our forum discussions. I am like you, I hate to discourage anyone, especially when they think they are the next Ansel Adams or whatever. I asked for it however and actually wanted to hear a real critique and I sincerly appreciate it. There is an important difference between constructive criticism and ego driven criticism.

Sandi, thanks for cushioning the constructive criticism with the compliment. I always enjoy those. I think you all nailed it right on the head.

I showed the image to my wife, and she became excited and told me that she liked it. She actually liked the contrast between the blue and the orange/pink colors of the flower pedals. I looked at it and saw what you all described. I told her I would get a few additional opinions.

This is actually very helpful. I know that some post images to get sincere feedback and for the best of motives recieve compliments that may not be entirely sincere or are more encouraging than truthful. This is in my experience, is the nicest gathering of talented people in any forum of any description that I have ever had the pleasure of engaging.

I wonder if there is a way we could start a permanent thread in which only constructive criticizm is offered and expected without insults or degrading remarks. Perhaps a grading system similar to Photosig with a thumbs up or down and a grade along with a brief explanation and rules for etiquete. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott Sherman said:
Hi Sandi, Gordon and Greg,
I am sitting reading this with a big smile and even a chuckle. I know that it goes against the grain to critisize another member, especially not knowing one another, in most cases beyond our forum discussions. I am like you, I hate to discourage anyone, especially when they think they are the next Ansel Adams or whatever. I asked for it however and actually wanted to hear a real critique and I sincerly appreciate it. There is an important difference between constructive criticism and ego driven criticism.

Sandi, thanks for cushioning the constructive criticism with the compliment. I always enjoy those. I think you all nailed it right on the head.

I showed the image to my wife, and she became excited and told me that she liked it. She actually liked the contrast between the blue and the orange/pink colors of the flower pedals. I looked at it and saw what you all described. I told her I would get a few additional opinions.

This is actually very helpful. I know that some post images to get sincere feedback and for the best of motives recieve compliments that may not be entirely sincere or are more encouraging than truthful. This is in my experience, is the nicest gathering of talented people in any forum of any description that I have ever had the pleasure of engaging.

I wonder if there is a way we could start a permanent thread in which only constructive criticizm is offered and expected without insults or degrading remarks. Perhaps a grading system similar to Photosig with a thumbs up or down and a grade along with a brief explanation and rules for etiquete. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm pretty sure this came up before when we were discussing whether or not to have a separate critique section.

Sandi pretty much nailed it. The white flowers are distracting and the blue competes too much for attention. I think a more even, less distracting background and a different pespective would've helped. The lack of depth takes away from the pop of the pink flowers.

Home: Columbia, MD, USA; Present: Bogota, Colombia
I would love the idea of a critique thread or forum. I think the forum idea would work better just to separate the photos more. Otherwise, it may be hard to find the critiques to your photos in the flood of others posting photos to the same thread.

I know I have taken some shots which I think have "punch". I have quite a few hanging at my office and in my home and I often get positive feedback from viewers. However, I feel that most don't. :oops:

As a hobbyist and not a profession it doesn't keep food off the table. However, I would like to improve my "eye" in any way I can. :wink:

I don't think we need to add a new forum, just do as Scott did: ask for an honest critique. Once all the personalities are sorted out and recognized, feelings won't be hurt as we'll know exactly how the poster meant their critique, etc. I've always been known for my blunt honesty with feelings attached. If you specifically ask, I'll answer.

Carol,

You have a great way of putting things into perspective and your bluntness (which is what I requested) is one of your more endearing qualities when applied as you did with sincere appreciation and concern for the person asking.

Thank you again, and I guess the answer is that if I want to get a score on my photos, I can post them at a forum that is designed for that. This is a great place to just discuss, equipment and images and other stuff of interest. After second consideration, I agree with you.

I am a great fan of yours and appreciate all your contributions.

Thanks again.

Scott,

I would crop, just leaving the two tulips. Change the background to light pink.

Saw one like that on bestphoto.com.

It was gorgeous. You can do that with this one. Your composition of just the two tulips is perfect.

Hi Gale,

Something like this?

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here it is cropped just for comparison
View attachment 8780

And finally, without the white flowers
View attachment 8781

This is just a quick down and dirty edit. Please don't look for editing flaws. I just wanted to get a sense of Gale's suggestion. I see the improvement. What do you think. Any other suggestions?

Hi Scott,

The second one is just delightful..

One more suggestion can you clone the white flowers out. Perhaps a smaller white mat and a different color frame.

I am going to go see if I can find the one I saw the other day.

You are doing good.

Hummmmmm wonder how you did what you did :>)))))

I posted a Magnolia and Paul gave me a heads up. Pretty flower. Needs a better presentation. I will post a fix if you want to go see.

This is nice to help each other this way instead of all, thats beautiful....

Although there sure alot of ...OHHH thats Beautiful around here.

You see something you really like and take a pic. Then look at it and wonder how you can make it how you envisioned it..

I'll be back.

Scott,

Very very nice.. !!!! 3rd one is great.

What do you think now ?????
Do you like that better.....

I can't find the one I was looking for. Knew I should have saved it.

Good job.

Scott,

I really like the shot, but am distracted by the fact that the two tulips are not in the same plane, and therefore, both are not in sharp focus. I might buy the original except for that.

Having said that though, you've adapted to the comments made here extremely well in your very last version. I like it the best.

Good job.

All I did was to select the pink tulips then inverse the selection so the blue flowers were selected, use the color replace tool in PS pick out the blue and chose pink to replace it, then add some lens blur to give it a bit of depth, reframe it and whallah! easy...

I don't think this can really be saved. The image had problems from the git go besides the color contrast issues. The shot was too low of an f stop to give both flowers equal emphasis s they deserved, which was distracting by itself. I put a bit of smart blur on the pedals to soften it and try to bring them closer together but the patient was critical before the surgery. I was just playing in PS to see what could be done to make it more interesting. As always, compliments accepted graciously here (as well as constructive critisizm).

Thanks, I always enjoy fooling mother nature.

Scott,

Was a great thread.. Enjoyed it alot. "foolin around" is fun.

lol

Thanks for the technique.

Latest threads

Top Bottom