1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Would you give up your D300 for a mint D2X ??

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Sanyika, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Sanyika

Sanyika

Apr 19, 2007
    Hungary
    I'am in lust for a pro body. I had a D2H, but I didn't liked the resolution, and the overall picture qual. . Maybe the D2Hs is a well made thing, but the D2H is just veeery fast, image qual. is not there. I LOVE THE D2 BODY! I need a D2 body:) 
    I love the viewfinder on a D2 body... I have a DK17M and DK19. This combo was the best viewfinder from a DX crop cam. So...
    I think the D2X's image qual. must be very fine. (I liked my D200...)
    I think the only thing i give up with my D300 is the highISO.
    Am I right? Would you trade a D300 for a mint D2X?
    Have you had a D2X? How does the two compare?
    HELP IF YOU CAN! THANKS! :) 

2. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    NO WAY!!!! I had a D2Xs briefly and was very disappointed.... blown highlights etc. I sold it and got a D300 and have never looked back! The D300/grip is head and shoulders above the D2X or D2Xs in my opinion. Cheers, Bill P.

3. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Hmm yes and no.
    It all depends on what you shoot i guess.

I have a D2X and i like it for my photography.

4. Absolutely not!!! In fact, I just purchased a used D300 from a Cafe member so I have two bodies when I go to air shows and birding.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I say no as well, I've briefly used a D2X and find that my D300 is a better fit for my photography.

6. Yes I would. In fact I'm seriously thinking about it. I'm waiting to see what the price of the D700 is officially first. I feel the IQ of the D2x I had is better than the D300. The D3 is way ahead of both of them, which is why I've been delaying, I've been tempted to get a second D3 instead.

7. I have both, and the D2x is now my backup camera. The image quality on both is excellent, but the D300 is a major step up in AF and high iso shooting, which are important in wildlife photography. If you primarily will be doing studio work, the D2x is still a great performer.

8. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I find use for both...

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    It All Depends

If you're not shooting above ISO 400 and not shooting birds flying at high rtates of speed, I'd personally do it in a heartbeat.

The Xs has better viewfinder, build quality, ergonomics, low light focus ability and focus acquisition IMHO.

The D300 is lighter (add the grip and they are close to the same), a better LCD ( not a deal breaker for me as the only thing I really rely on it for is histogram review), definetly has better higher ISO above 400 and does track moving subjects better once it acquires lock on the subject.

I find that neither blows highlights any more than the other...you simply need to know how to expose properly for a given scene.

It all depends on what you're going to be using it for.

10. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    From a quick side by side look it appears the differences include (D300 listed first):

ISO rating
    200 - 3200 in 1, 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps (100 - 6400 with boost)
    100 - 800 in 1, 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps (1600 & 3200 as boost)

Auto focus type Nikon Multi-CAM3500 DX Nikon Multi-CAM2000

Built-in Flash Yes, pop-up No

Continuous Drive
    6 fps, 100 JPEG / ?? RAW (8fps 2/ AA or EL4 batt) (all at full 12mp)
    5 fps @ 12 mp, 8 fps @ 6.8 mp (cropped)

Viewfinder
    Optical (Pentaprism, 100% coverage, 0.94x magnification)
    Optical (Pentaprism, 100% coverage, 0.86x magnification)

LCD 3.0 " 2.5 "
    LCD Pixels 922,000 235,000

The biggies to me would be ISO and autofocus. You'll have to determine if any are biggies to you and how important they are. Good luck deciding.

11. I have both and like David use the D300 for the reasons he says. However, I like the feel of the D2X more and would like to see a D3X.

What kind of ISOs do you shoot at? Do you shoot a particular subject or do you shoot "all sorts of things"?

12. 130meow

130meow

Apr 22, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I have both as well. I haven't used the D2X for a long time, but from my impressions so far... The general answer is no. The D300 is much more "all rounded" than the D2X.

I only got the D2X because it was very cheap at $1250.

However, I find the following BETTER on the D2X than the D300:
    - AF especially with non-AFS lenses is faster. It just feels more "sure" and the AF motor seems to give more "torque". I makes my non-AFS primes a joy to use.
    - this is arguable, but I like the D2X low iso better - the D300 is a bit over-saturated in IMHO
    - with the grip, the D2X is less bulky and fits my hands better. But the D300's grip has the up/down button that is not available on the D2X and it's useful.
    - battery life is much better on the D2X and EL-EL4a (I guess you can get those for the D300 with the grip as well... but then you'll have to get the charger and battery cover as well)

I think everything else the D300 wins.

As for D2X overblowing the highlights - I find it the opposite. I find the D2X's matrix metering more "conservative" than the D300's.

13. I've used the D2X and tried the D300 out a couple of times; the D300 w/ grip is still not as ergonomic as the D2X is for vertical compositions (although it's a far cry better than the D200 w/ grip).

Sean

14. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    only for the pro body...

15. Yes

Yes, in a heart beat - the IQ of the D2X is far superior to the D300... Sorry but when exposed properly the D2X is miles above a lot of camera - granted you must know how to operate it properly which you don't really need with the D3 or D300 as the D3 and D300 Metering is miles above the D2X... So you lose a bit in IQ and you gain in ease of use and forgiveness for not using the proper exposure... But the D2X and D2Xs IQ is simply stupendous...

You'll get better results with less work using the D300 - you'll get better results with more work using the D2X in the end is how much work and thinking you want to put into your photography as well as high iso capability but if you want high iso... The D300 is good but not good enough to keep over the D2X, if you need high iso capability get a D3 (Plus the resulting image IQ is better with the D3 vs the D300 and you get a full frame camera...) But what do I know and my opinion is subject to change.

16. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    I guess the simple question is do you shoot a lot of high iso stuff or do you want to.

17. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Proof please. In what way is it "far superior"? Not DR or noise at or above ISO 200. Not according to practically every other photographer who has shot with both cameras; for instance, here's what Thom Hogan writes about which camera has better Low ISO image quality: "Neither. Both can produce superb results, though if pressed I'd pick the D2x." Since your claim stands out from the crowd and is therefore extraordinary -- it demands extraordinary proof.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.