Would you jump?

While on a dayhike on our mexico trip, we ended up at a waterfall with a spring-fed pond that made for some nice swimming after working up a sweat. One of the tour guides was brave enough to climb up to the highest point and jump.

I was all set to capture the sequence with my camera camera braced on my knees and precisely framed, but after several minutes of hesitation he finally jumped just after I took the camera away from my face to wipe some sweat out of my eye. I missed the initial part of the jump but did manage to fire off a sequence as he descended. The framing was off a bit though, because I didn't have the camera braced at that point and "followed" him down; and as a result the shots didn't line up perfectly. Fortunately I was able to use Autopano to stich the shots together. Anyways, comments/feedback/critique welcome as always.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks 4labs, Dave, and Paul.

Would you mind explaining how to use Autopano for this, though, as I've not treid it and you've just inspired me to try
What do you need from the shots, and how do you set & use Autopano?
It was actually pretty easy. I let AutoPano Pro output a layered Photoshop file (it actually uses PSB instead of PSD to support really large files). What AutoPano does in this case is create a file where the bottom layer is the final stiched result, fully blended and color corrected (if you chose those options). Each additional layer is one of the original shots, lined up where it should be; however these layers are not blended/color-corrected so that you wouldn't be able to use them as-is unless your exposures are extremely consistent.

The stitched result looked extremely good except for the areas where the jumper was, since it tried to blend different frames where the jumper was in different places. What I did is put a "hide-all" mask on each of the layers, and then revealed just the portion of the layer containing the jumper. By using a soft brush the result looked pretty seamless. Then I flattened the whole thing to get a more manageable filesize. Because of the frame (mis)alignment, there was some empty space in two of the corners (my camera drifted down and to the right as I shot). So I had to do a bit of cloning to fill in those areas in the bottom left and top right of the frame but that was pretty easy to do given the texture in those areas.

I wouldn't jump at my age but probably would have when I was younger. Great series of shots to make up this cool image.

I did make my first 12,000 ft. parachute jump with 5000 ft. freefall at age 70 so I am not immune to a challenge.

Gordon - Thanks. I might have been tempted to consider the jump except that the climb up looked even scarier. :) I've always said I want to try sky diving someday, but so far haven't gotten around to it.

Frank - Thanks for the feedback. If you try this I suggest using a tripod if possible to make constructing the final image a bit easier. But if that's not possible AutoPano Pro can be a big help (not sure how well other stitching programs would handle this situation).

Thats a really great shot(s) :>))
Yep they are brave.
Not for me,
But would photo them :>))))

Would I jump???? Uh, in a word... "NO" !!!! I have a paralyzing fear of heights! Ugh, my heart is racing and i'm feeling flushed just thinking about it....man, I'm even feeling dizzy....

I've always said that God was smart and made me a short person....It would have been miserable to be terrified of heights as a 6ft tall person...lol!

Very cool shot btw....

Matt - thanks for commenting. It looked fun from down where I was but I'm not sure how fun it would look once you're up there. :)

Leigh - don't feel bad, not too many people would attempt that jump I think. I sure didn't, and I don't consider myself to be afraid of heights. It's the landing in the water part I wasn't too crazy about; hit wrong and that would hurt something fierce.

Very cool series - I love these types of shot sequences. A few years ago, YES I would have jumped. Now, the bones rattle a little, far too many muscles have been wrenched from stupid moves, and the brain engages sooner! :wink:

Jeff,

I always admire shots whose conception required thinking a little differently, and this certainly falls into that category. Well done, quite cool. Thanks for showing us this.

No, I would not jump. Moreover, if pushed off the edge, I would refuse to obey the law of gravity :eek:

P

phatnev

I would be the first one over the edge :biggrin: I enjoy going to a place called Ricketts Glenn here in Pa, 21 waterfalls, absolutely gorgeous, and quite a bit of fun to jump off of. Ive been cliff jumping in Capri(Italy), Hydra(Greek Isle), and Jamaica too! I love the freedom, just have to "adjust" yourself before you hit the water! And so I dont forget, that is quite a great sequence, I certainly wish I could capture something like that.

free-fall into H2O is one of life's little joys.
This particular L. Powell diagonal wall extended up to the right to about 5-600 foot (fatal fall height) so the dares had to me tempered with common sense. I jumped from 50 feet or so...too high!

31718732.jpg

31755557.jpg

Sandy, Ken, and Dave, thanks for looking I really appreciate the feedback.

Chris and Vernon, OK maybe I should re-think my position on jumping into water... :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom