Would you keep your 24-70 f/4 S?

Real Name
Ken
Great post reminding us all that lenses in kits cost less
Alternately, you can pay full price for your kit lens an get a screaming deal on the body. o_O It all depends on how you slice the pie.

Unless you start out buying used and keep buying used, loss of value is almost always a given. I knew a guy who was an audiophile and liked to buy and sell used gear. He was good at it, and basically his initial outlay hardly ever changed as he was able to buy and sell at nearly the same price as he churned through gear. Good used lenses seem to keep a relatively constant price range, so this is somewhat possible, but bodies are a whole different story.

--Ken

Thanks again guys. I bought my 24-70 f/4 S with the z7 kit, but to me this doesn't mean that its value is what I paid for but what its worth it as if I bought it as a new lens. Reading of your suggestions re-affirmed my tendency to keep the f/4 S. At some point I think I'll get the f/2.8 S and have both in my collection. Maybe a second z6 II body in the distant future if I need it would make use of it. The z-lenses are so nice all of them, that I don't see any good or bad lens. I wish I could have all to play with. They are a marvel of optical engineering so I see them not only as a tool but also as optics that won't lose their value through the years.

I noticed you don't have a wide angle, maybe something like the 20mm f/1.8 S or 14-30mm f/4 S might be beneficial to your kit as opposed to having two lenses covering the same focal length. By selling the 24-70mm f4, you can apply those funds elsewhere. Like I said earlier, if you miss it you can always re-buy the lens at the same reduced rate on the used market.

Real Name
Randy
Thanks again guys. I bought my 24-70 f/4 S with the z7 kit, but to me this doesn't mean that its value is what I paid for but what its worth it as if I bought it as a new lens. Reading of your suggestions re-affirmed my tendency to keep the f/4 S. At some point I think I'll get the f/2.8 S and have both in my collection. Maybe a second z6 II body in the distant future if I need it would make use of it. The z-lenses are so nice all of them, that I don't see any good or bad lens. I wish I could have all to play with. They are a marvel of optical engineering so I see them not only as a tool but also as optics that won't lose their value through the years.
Unfortunately buyers do the math and the kit lens is worth less

Unfortunately buyers do the math and the kit lens is worth less

In my opinion its the seller's mistake to give it so low. The special price of the kit lens should be considered a benefit for the buyer of the kit, not the one who buys the lens used. Someone who bought the lens standalone would never sell it less than 50% of its price especially a few months after purchase.

I noticed you don't have a wide angle, maybe something like the 20mm f/1.8 S or 14-30mm f/4 S might be beneficial to your kit as opposed to having two lenses covering the same focal length. By selling the 24-70mm f4, you can apply those funds elsewhere. Like I said earlier, if you miss it you can always re-buy the lens at the same reduced rate on the used market.

Indeed, the 14-30 f/4 S is also on my list. But then again there is the f/2.8 which is sharper. I know, pixel peeping at its finest. :D

Real Name
Randy
In my opinion its the seller's mistake to give it so low. The special price of the kit lens should be considered a benefit for the buyer of the kit, not the one who buys the lens used. Someone who bought the lens standalone would never sell it less than 50% of its price especially a few months after purchase.

Indeed, the 14-30 f/4 S is also on my list. But then again there is the f/2.8 which is sharper. I know, pixel peeping at its finest. :D
Unfortunately we are alone in that opinion
I tend to agree with you but the marketplace does what they want
BTW every time I kept 2 lenses w the same focal length I always sold 1

I was going to mention the 14-24mm f/2.8 S, but I didn't want to feed into the deep rabbit hole of even more expensive lenses! :ROFLMAO:

Though, it would be nice to have the Nikon S line f/2.8 zoom trifecta! :D;)

Real Name
Carl
In my never-humble opinion, KEEP the lens! Unless the f/2.8 lens is visibly and spectacularly better than your f/4, or you just have to have a new objective, (and there is nothing at all wrong with having a new lens!) the difference in light transmitted is
easily offset by a slight nudge in ISO, If necessary. Noise? A minor problem, easily corrected by software, if need be. The f/2.8 lenses are legendary for a reason, but with knowledge of equipment, and technique, 95% of all photo needs can be handled very well by ("kit, consumer, prosumer") lenses. Who thinks up these terms, anyway, and are they just to convince us that we will be better off with the "PRO" len$e$? Actually, somebody said it very well...The weight difference between f/4 and f/2.8 lenses will be felt mostly in your wallet! :D The same can be said for VR or not VR. As I age, I find VR to be very helpful, but, with some experience, there are viable work arounds. The difference in "feel"? Plasticy? What's that, and how should it affect our photography...if at all? Good luck with your decision!:)

Real Name
Ken
I suspect it is also a bit of supply and demand that determines the price. There are a lot of kit lenses floating around out there, and since Nikon gives a price break for the kit, many folks try to see if they can recover funds from a lens they do not necessarily want. Thus, there are more lenses on the market than normal.

--Ken

I suspect it is also a bit of supply and demand that determines the price. There are a lot of kit lenses floating around out there, and since Nikon gives a price break for the kit, many folks try to see if they can recover funds from a lens they do not necessarily want. Thus, there are more lenses on the market than normal.

--Ken
I think the pricing is entirely based on supply and demand.

Glenn

Real Name
Ken
I think the pricing is entirely based on supply and demand.

Glenn
I agree, and Nikon has also generally increased the supply by offering this particular lens in kits at a discounted price. And unfortunately enough folks have preferences for faster glass or the possible ability to make back some funds so the used supply exceeds the demand. I know that if I was to purchase a Z body I would buy a kit lens with it. But as this is a great lens and a decent range for general travel photography, I would keep it. I suspect that the market for this lens are people who bought a body only, bought a used body only, or sold this lens and want it back. Not really a huge market. So, lots of supply and limited demand.

--Ken

I don't mind cheap pricing on gear like this. For people like me who buy most my equipment used, it's a great way to get quality gear at a fraction of the retail price. Also I wouldn't be too mad about gear depreciation, as long as you enjoyed (hobbyist) or made money (pro) off your new purchase, you shouldn't be too caught up in the used prices of such items.

Real Name
Ken
You could always look at it another way. If you buy the Z body with the 24-70 as a kit Nikon will discount the body by $200.
I thought the discount was more than $200, but yes, that is what I was alluding to above as well.

--Ken

Real Name
Andy
For most uses of a 24-70, the extra stop of speed is not needed (indoor action being the obvious exception), and the wider aperture doesn't profoundly isolate subjects from backgrounds. To do the latter well, I think f/1.8 primes would be a more sensible investment.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The 24-70/f4 is probably worth as much now as it will ever be.

Instead, I suggest focusing on your ultimate lens choices based on NEED..... As indicated above, the difference in IQ between the f4 and f2.8 is small.....as is the DOF. But the size and weight are very different. I don't think I've ever used my f2.8 at f2.8! LOL! But I've left it in the bag due to weight.... Decide what you need - and don't chase what others think.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom