Would you rather own: 24mm f/1.4 vs 35mm f/1.4

Would you rather own: 24mm f/1.4 vs 35mm f/1.4

• AF-S 24mm f./1.4G Nano

Votes: 74 42.3%
  • AF-S 35mm f/1.4 Nano

Votes: 101 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All else is equal and you can only choose one to shoot with for a year: Just trying to get a consensus as some folks feel Nikon needed a 35 1.4 before a 24 1.4....

1. AF-S 24mm f/1.4G Nano

2. AF-S 35mm f/1.4G Nano

NOTE: the 35mm should have a G after it in the poll choices and f/1.4 is screwey in the 24mm option, sorry!

P

Pianisimo

For professional work, I would rather have the 24/1.4. It's such a classic storytelling lens and it's great for photojournalism. If we're taking budget into account, I doubt I could afford either but the 35/1.4 in theory would be much cheaper.

For professional work, I would rather have the 24/1.4. It's such a classic storytelling lens and it's great for photojournalism. If we're taking budget into account, I doubt I could afford either but the 35/1.4 in theory would be much cheaper.

the purpose of the poll is mainly for focal length choices - given all else is equal price, IQ, shooting needs etc...

But PJ work yea the 24 is a godsend. Your right that the 35 will be cheaper and they will sell more as as result

I love both focal length....but I rarely shoot wide open with the 24..so it would be more useful for me to have f1.4 on the 35mm

I have both focal lengths in prime lenses for years, and love both, one of them being the venerable 35/1.4 AIS. A 24mm shot at f/1.4 max aperture would be a novelty.

I would own both, and equally use both.

Dom
You hit the mark with this poll... I could really use both. The price really is a consideration for me, as a serious non-pro I could justify one but not the other.
I currently have both the 14-24 and the 35 1.4 Ais. So why would I want either???

The 14-24 at f2.8 doesn't give me the DOF isolation I want for some shots. hence the 24 1.4 would give me that plus filters smaller size etc.

The 35 1.4 Ais is an absolute favorite of mine and outstanding IQ BUT not wide-open. It suffers from marked internal flare@ 1.4 that lowers contrast in many (not all) lighting condtions. It is usuable at 1.4 in lowlight situations and is not bad but once it's stopped down it's very different. I'd really like an updated version with that great Nikon IQ wide open. I will probably buy any new 35 1.4 AFS at any price.

I voted for the 35 and thats not based on what lenses I already own. I try to buy new lenses based on its specific uses and not to have balance in my lineup. I am sure most of us here may have an "overbalanced" lens linuep towards one focal length. It just really goes to show each lens is an individual tool and not one tool is right for every job.

I wonder if some folks are voting for the 35/1.4 because they're hoping it's way cheaper than the 24/1.4 :biggrin:

A potential flaw in the poll is that it should only apply to full-frame shooters. Or have separate sets of choices between full-frame and APS-C. E.g. a 35/1.4 appeals a lot to a DX shooter who wants a "normal" focal length equivalent lens that goes to f/1.4 and hopefully has better IQ than the slower 35/1.8 (at a much higher price).

I wonder if some folks are voting for the 35/1.4 because they're hoping it's way cheaper than the 24/1.4 :biggrin:

A potential flaw in the poll is that it should only apply to full-frame shooters. Or have separate sets of choices between full-frame and APS-C. E.g. a 35/1.4 appeals a lot to a DX shooter who wants a "normal" focal length equivalent lens that goes to f/1.4 and hopefully has better IQ than the slower 35/1.8 (at a much higher price).

I considered alot of variables but tried to make this "All is equal" type scenario. In the real world I know considerations for DX crop come into play but for this try and take a broader approach in that you could only have' this' 1 lens and nothing else.

I voted for the 35 and thats not based on what lenses I already own. I try to buy new lenses based on its specific uses and not to have balance in my lineup. I am sure most of us here may have an "overbalanced" lens linuep towards one focal length. It just really goes to show each lens is an individual tool and not one tool is right for every job.

Okay okay I'll come clean, I voted for the 35 for two reasons, one I already have the 28mm 1.4 but second even if I did not have it, 35mm is by far the most useful focal length ever for me, as such I'd stick to my 35mm choice :smile:

Hands down, no doubt about it, the 35. But there are two kinds of folks, 24/50 folks and 35/85 folks :biggrin: I imagine the poll will end up pretty close, with just a marginal nod to the 35.

35 is a great compromise, kinda wide, kinda normal, just a great FL especially on FF.

Latest threads

Top Bottom