Would you? Trade in an 85/1.4 for a 17-55/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Candidcameraman, May 25, 2007.

1. That's it - it is decided, it is what I want to do...

2. Huh oh... You and my significant other agree... I think you may both be on to something.

3. That is one spectacular prime..a classic. The other is an excellent, versatile zoom. Apples and oranges, but the 85, to me, is still the keeper!

Rich

4. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    No..Never..Non..Neicht!!

5. Scotty_R

Scotty_R

Jan 1, 2006
    Virginia
    Woah, Dude. Double no. Sleep it off, man. Your significant other, and Rich, are right. Keep it. I mean, really, why don't you just trade your '55 Statocaster for Tiny Tim's ukulele. :wink:

6. Well I guess I'll have to wait until next weekend to get the 17-55! And a 50/1.4...

I know - I know it is just that I am not patient enough... I wanted it now! :smile:

7. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    17-55 "and" the 85 1.4

Hey Dude.

Hope you can wait. They make an excellent combo.

8. Thank you, I will wait - Until next week - then I'll have a 50/1.4 as well, shortly after... :smile:

9. Never trade a prime for a zoom!

10. Two entirely different animals. You want both! :smile:

There are times when you have to have something in the 17-55 range, and the best 85 in the world just won't do. Sure you could use the 85 instead in those cases, but you'd end up with totally different images... individual heads instead of group shots for example.

I am not sure which focal length within the 17-55 range you are favoring, but if you can find one and would like to play with it until you can spring for the 17-55, go with a prime around that focal length, even if it's an old MF prime. For example, a 20/2.8 AIS, a 28/2 AIS or 28/2.8 AIS, 35/2, 50/1.4, etc... You can always resell it later, for nearly as much as you paid for it... :wink:

11. Trade my 85 1.4....I don't think so. Ever

Dan

12. I am favoring the widder end of the 17-55... Otherwise I might go for a 28-70...

13. Frank207be

Frank207be

Mar 11, 2006
    Belgium
    I was hoping that Nikon would release an updated AFS 85mm f1.4 with or without VR, but after using the "old" AF 85mm f1.4 I'm still so happy that Nikon will have to bring a very strong successor before I will switch!!!

14. yoyo

yoyo

Nov 9, 2006
    The Netherlands
    I'm still waitin'...

15. Takeda

Takeda

Jun 9, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Two different lenses. I have both, and wouldn't part with either one of them!!

16. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I don't own either lens, but no way would I trade the 85 1.4 for anything else. There are too many choices in the zoom range, but nothing else like the 85 1.4.

17. I could see trading in the opposite direction.

18. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    The only reason I traded mine in was to 'upgrade' from the Ais to AF-D version. Can't see doing without.

19. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I don't think there's ever a situation to say absolute no to not selecting a zoom first. It's all situational and depends on your photography. Myself, my 85 is one of the most underutilized lenses in my bag. I don't do much portrait work well yet, but I do a lot of landscapes. The 17-55 has been second in my favorites for that. The 17-35 tops on this list. But largely, if you need 55 or below, it's very difficult to make an 85 work. People don't understand you having to be in the neighbors front yard to get everyone in the picture in front of your house for example, and your then to far away to connect with subjects for groups.

It's largely a portrait lens, the 85, and honest, I've contemplated letting mine go due to lack of use. It's not a sharpness or bokeh issue, that's for sure, it's tops on both, but... Maybe I need to explore it's use outside more, macroish work, that sort of thing, well, it's something to consider.

Doug