Wouldn't it be nice...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Taylor, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    If we could organize this sub-forum a bit more?

I think we have a great resource here, but accessibility isn't the greatest.

What do you guys think about having official threads for each type of lens, and moderating it so only photos or critiques pertaining to that specific lens are posted? I.e. not derailing a thread about 50mm f.1.8s with talk of 300/f4 etc etc. Also, newcomers can see the official threads first and won't make as many redundant posts (and we can refer them to the appropriate threads).

I think the 50mm f/1.8 thread is a good example.

Maybe this has been tried in the past? Anyway, just my $0.02 on how to make nikoncafe a better resource.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Sounds like a good idea. Maybe start with just a Sticky thread at the top with links to the current "Official lens" threads. It'd be an easy place to start and new "official" threads could be added as they are created. The more specific threads you mentioned would be nice to have, but I believe they would take a great deal more moderation by our wonderful mods here, to keep them on track. I don't know, but I suspect this added workload may not be high on their list of wants. :wink:

3. Hi Taylor,

We try to keep the Cafe relatively open and the sub-fora as uncluttered as possible. With 44 current AF lenses and as many (if not far more) MF lenses available, trying to have a subforum for each one would become rather cumbersome.

If you would like in-depth discussion of a particular lens, consider Bjørn Rørslett's reviews.

If you wish to see photos from a particular lens, feel free to ask, people LOVE to share their photos! :smile: You'll find many new and creative uses for a particular lens in asking this question too! :biggrin:

4. KrysiaG

KrysiaG Guest

I think this is a great idea. I am searching and searching thru a lot of posts to get to what I am looking for. :biggrin:

5. Maybe a sub-forum for MF Nikkors would make sense.

6. maybe sub-forums on lens type, such as:

Macro
    Wide - up to say 28mm
    Short zoom - say up to 150mm (end)
    Long zoom - over 150mm (start)
    Fixed - speaks for itself
    Telconvertors

Obviously there would be cross over - macro into fixed into zoom, but its a starting point.

7. 2nd that

8. Guys,

You may want to go back up and re-read my post. :wink: This many subfora would make this area a cluttered mess, and we try to avoid that.

I have recently been considering fisheye lenses and found the "Search" function to be of great use. Using Advanced, put something like "Sigma 8mm" in the search box, and then change the drop-down menu to "search titles only." I think you'll find plenty of info on whatever lens your heart desires! :smile:

9. Jeffx2

Jeffx2

May 2, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I kind of like having all the posts from one general topic in one place. Too many forums make it easy to miss things. I would never go into a subforum for zooms, for example, but if I see an interesting title now I will pop in just to see what's up and maybe learn a new thing or two.

10. I am lost where we going on this one please ?

11. 10-4 :biggrin:

12. I don't see that 5 or 6 sub fora would make it a cluttered mess.

Take alook at the technical queries fora, theres, oooh let me count, 1 2 3 4 5 ! sub fora.

Nuff said.

13. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017