Wow, have ebay fees gone up???

Real Name
Rodney
I sold a D200 on ebay (I needed to move it fast, and I know most Cafe people are already set) it sold for $405 which is about what I wanted, and the ebay fee is $36.45 !! I also sold a lens for $139 and the fee is $12.51 !! So when you subtract the paypal fees, I lose like 65-70 bucks!

I had no idea it was going to be so much off the top! I would have sold here, but the lens and body are not popular enough to sell quickly, so went that route.

Now I can see why offering things at a discount here can actually make you money if you know what the ebay fees would be.

Some people sell for cheap on Ebay if they live somewhere or don't have access to a good buyers market. I try to sell a little higher on Ebay to make up for the fees. As long as pictures are good and there is full disclosure, items sell fairly quickly.

I sold a D200 on ebay (I needed to move it fast, and I know most Cafe people are already set) it sold for $405 which is about what I wanted, and the ebay fee is $36.45 !!

Rodney,
I'm sure some folks here can use a backup body like a D200. For that price I know it would sell here easily. As for ebay vs cafe, I agree with you. I'd rather sell here cheap and avoid the ebay hassle. Some buyers can be super difficult to deal with.

After buying new equipment I decided to part with Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8. Great lens, but I had to recoup monies from new purchase. I do not have enough posts here so ebay was next logical choice. I have had good success in the past, with ebay. Although it is sometimes a necessary evil, the fees were high. $7.80 for Reserve price + $5.50 various listing fees. $50.00 for final sale fee? Lens sold for $830, it was 6 yrs. old.
All in all I am not really complaining but I was a little stunned after realizing fees.

Real Name
Rodney
As listing fees. $50.00 for final sale fee? Lens sold for $830, it was 6 yrs. old.
All in all I am not really complaining but I was a little stunned after realizing fees.
Exactly what I am saying. They are making money hand over fist. :eek:

And now eBay is getting ready to start charging sellers a fee on the shipping charge. They want sellers to offer free shipping or very, very low reduced shipping.

I sell there alot and am not happy with their fees, but they do generate traffic and sales.

I stopped using auction style because they jacked the fees up to 9%, with a $50 maximum... For items under $1,000, it is usually cheaper to use fixed price listings because the fee is still around 5%...

But yeah, I try to sell everything here first and do offer discounts because the fees are lower...

Cheers

Mike

Are you including the Paypal fees, that's another 3%.

A tip for selling on Ebay, use Buy it Now - in most cases you'll get more money that way. I see almost no benefit to an auction for the seller, unless you have no idea of the value.

They want sellers to offer free shipping or very, very low reduced shipping.

I hate eBays greed with great gusto, but I do not entirely agree with that statement.

One of the problems was that there were a lot of sellers that would sell some small product (say, a miniature tripod) for $1. Of course eBay would get it's cut (of say, 20% or 20 cents).

When you pay for it, the price goes up from $1 to $21 - because S&H (in a bubble wrap envelope) now is included. And eBay doesn't charge for that.

Abuse of that "loophole" led to eBay's decision. It's not that they want sellers to offer free shipping - it's just that they don't want sellers to use S&H as a way to duck fees.

That doesn't change that eBay is a bunch of greedy pigs though. As far as I can tell, eBay is no longer interested in the business of the small sell-from-home seller and will just raise fees until they get rid of all of them.

eBay isn't a great a place to sell things anymore. With the fees you're not really making anymore more money then if you sold local.

Only benefit now is the global audience for those niche items that only a few people are looking for :)

Are you including the Paypal fees, that's another 3%.

A tip for selling on Ebay, use Buy it Now - in most cases you'll get more money that way. I see almost no benefit to an auction for the seller, unless you have no idea of the value.

Foolish buyers maybe? I've seen 70-300G lenses, properly described and with lots of photos go for $300 in some auctions.

But yeah, ebay used to be a place where an average joe could sell unwanted items. Now it's a place dominated by the large dealers.

Real Name
John
If they provided customer service, it wouldn't be as bad. If they want to charge us a ton of money, they should at least support us when a scammer bids on our item. I basically had a scammer from China bid on my item. Finally got through to their hidden support and they just told me "Well, he has good feedback. You should sell to him."

I tell her - I know he is a scammer, registered in UK, Chinese Paypal account - What do they do? Nothing! You know why, the buyer must agree that to cancel the auction. Even if they break the rules of your contract (like - only ships to CA, UK and US - not China!). So guess what! If you don't want to scammed, you have to pay the Ebay fee once again... to list again... and maybe get scammed again...

So guess what! If you don't want to scammed, you have to pay the Ebay fee once again... to list again... and maybe get scammed again...

I thought that under the new rules that were introduced last week you no longer have to pay fees if you don't sell at an auction?

ebay is great when your stuff doesn't sell on craigslist and all the rest or you just don't want to spend the time.
So you made $544 and paid paypal and ebay a total of $65. That sounds reasonable for the exposure and service they provide.

Steve

Luker your right if your item doesn't sell you don't pay the fees.
Ebay seems to only be good for a buyer now. The fees have made me think twice about how I will sell things if craigslist doesn't work.
I can't wait for the for sale section to be open to me here though as I would trust camera equipment form the cafe a lot more.

Latest threads

Top Bottom