WOW! I'm impressed with Nikon!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Jun 2, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    So my meter dies on my D2h in the middle of a wedding shoot :(

Go figure. 20K shots, and working like a charm, it happens to pick the best possible time to break on me.

Reset the camera and swapped batteries and CF cards, lenses everthing. Nothing worked, not even spot metering on a bulb and with the lense cap on it read the same thing.

Welp, since Torrance is so close, I figure I'd drive it on down instead of waiting on hold forever with the telephone deal. I'm really scared as my camera is *exactly* one month past warrentee. Looks like time for a new body...

So at Torrance, I'm waiting in this line, with several other people, and there were 3 D2h (2 meter problems, and a WB issue) and 1 coolpix (dunno the problem) and 1 D100 (clean/checkup).

It's my turn and I give the lady my receipt (which I bring just in case) and explained the problem and plead with them to take it under warrentee :/ She looks at the receipt and says since it's so close, she'll do the work under warrentee. So I leave it there...

That was Tuesday (yes 2 days ago). Today, Thursday, I get a box on my front porch - It's my D2h!!!!!! Repaired, and works like a champ.

I have to say that I'm definately impressed. With service like that, I may just put that D2x back on my buy list. I've actually been in there a couple of times before, once for my D70 (mis-aligned kit lense - they didn't fix it right the first time, then they said they had to replace the lense, and it was back ordered, so it was there for 3 weeks). And once for my daughter's coolpix (shot blank pix, fixed after a week).
    Kudo's to Nikon! Woo Hoo!

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's great Gregory! That Torrence facility is becoming legendary. Glad you've of (one of) your camera back!

3. That is GREAT service and it was most apporpriate to post.

4. So glad to hear this, after reading so many horror stories about cameras coming back with more problems, etc. NikonCanada has always given me stellar service and have done fixes out of warranty when they recognized that it's not wear and tear or user caused (ie new motherboard on a CP990). Our cameras cost more up here because more of the profit goes back into the tech facility. Once when I put my 5700 in for a small switch problem, they ran a few tests and found the CCD was giving them some bad readings (I had never encountered a problem!!??) so they replaced the CCD, no charge! The only reason I went Fuji S3Pro was because of an incredible deal, and because of the DR that I wanted.
    So glad to hear that the NikonUSA folks are being fair to the clients! High five for Nikon!

5. Torrance is cool sometimes. I had to send my SB-80DX back 4 times to get it fixed. Each time it came back with a defect. Flash stopped firing, LCD light stopped working, etc.

Hey here's a tip for all you guys wanting to have an unlimited warranty with your gear. Each time you bring your gear in for repair, Nikon warrants it for 6 months after the given repairs and check up. If you bring your gear in every 6 months complaining that repair wasn't right and they fix and check it, you get another automatic 6 months of free warranty! This is easy to do, just say something like your lens wasn't focusing right. I'm of thinking trying this, I'll tell you if it works 6 months from now!

6. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Jonathan- Did you really want to give a tip like this? And say that you are thinking of trying it?

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I was absolutely stunned by the quick turnaround. Just got the "estimate" in the mail today :D

Makes me wonder though, if it were a year past the warentee and the meter breaks, how much would I have had to pay? I'm just glad it broke when it did.

Jonathan, that's an interesting idea. I thought the repair warrentee was only for the part repaired and it was only good for 90 days.

8. nikon repair

I wished Ilived closer to Melville, to look a tech in the eye would be great.
    2 days WOW! lucky you. CS Dayan