1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wow, it's a SMALL world!!!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by raian, Aug 9, 2008.

1. What an amazing adventure I had this afternoon, in my own field!!! Comments and Critique welcome. I sometimes do not know how to compose macro shots so any tips appreciated. Thanks!

348181485_7tpif-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

348181494_4G5Ds-L.jpg

348181508_QGLfz-L.jpg

348181501_xtgSM-L.jpg

348181498_gH3XD-L.jpg

348181824_k2uqY-L.jpg

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice images Linda, in particular no1. It just goes to show what you can find when you look at things in a different (macro) sort of way. Thanks for sharing.

3. great shots....
    glad you could find them so close to your home

4. like almost anything else always try to show the eyes

the 1st 3 got 'shadowed out'
    #4 & 5 are nice
    #6 is weird

5. Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.
    Randy, I couldn't see any eyes on the beetle!!! And it flew off quickly too so I didn't get a lot of time. Shooting these bugs is definitely a learning curve, but I'm having a lot of fun, it's a blast discovering something I've never seen before, or never really LOOKED at before :) 

6. It's truly an amazing world if only we take the time to look.Very nice images.

7. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    One of the real benefits of having a builtin flash is you can use it for fill in a situation where your subject is backlighted. Welcome to macro, you find it can really be feast or famine, and a time very frusting.

Nice you could find them so close to home.

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I agree with the focus on the eyes. In the first 3 shots you could recover some of the dark areas with the Shadow/Highligt tool in PS. Shooting against the light is very difficult. I tried it with the first one and it's a real beautiful beetle. Also in the first one I would probably crop a little of the left area out.

You really found some interesting insects. Beautiful dragonflies and that last spider is really different from those I've seen.

9. I never even thought to use the flash, thank you for that suggestion!
    Torben, I'd like to see what you did with the beetle if you could post it. I don't have PhotoShop but do have Paint Shop Pro and it has many of the same features. Thanks for the suggestions!

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Just a quick crop and using the Shadow too to lighten the dark.

101452941.gif

11. Thanks Torben! I do see his eyes now. Cool :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.