WOW! What a Weekend...Part 2

Finally got the rest of Saturdays pictures done. During the morning on a recommendation from a friend, I went over to an old mudflat that had some dead trees and WOODPECKERS!! I saw five different kinds while there. Four are pictured below.

1. Northern Flicker:
BirdingWeekend_26.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Red Belly:
BirdingWeekend_48.jpg

3. Pileated:
BirdingWeekend_46.jpg

Plus a bunch of

4. Red Heads big and small

A.

BirdingWeekend_29.jpg

B.
BirdingWeekend_37.jpg

C.
BirdingWeekend_40.jpg

Then of course there is the occasional

5. Female Turkey

BirdingWeekend_51.jpg

BirdingWeekend_53.jpg

The rest can be found here: http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/sjlarue/Birding Weekend/

Question:

Anyone know why a Red Head would be carrying a berry in it's mouth? Do they eat berries too? I thought that all they ate were insects. Near as I could figure, this one was teaching the young one how to forage for food. But i didn't know that they ate berries.

I think that if I had to choose, I would choose evening light over morning. Even though everyone likes morning light, I liked the light that I had for the shorebirds that I took. The morning light seemed a little too blue for me. I should have brought my gray card, but I forgot, Oh well.

Enjoy! and CC welcome.

Yes you did see some woodpeckers,, my favorite one ,, the pileated ,,, have em here in my backyard ,,,, hear them more than see them ,,, love the adult and juvi,,, oh yea,,, they eat berries , fruit and such too,, great captures

Great picture of the illusive pileated! I have plenty of Red Bellies in my yard, but yet to see a red headed woodpecker here. My woodpeckers eat at the feeders, so insects are not all they eat. And they like peanuts, shelled.

Apparently you found all the Woodpeckers I have been hunting for (with a camera of course).... lol...

very nice Steve.. I enjoyed them all.

Thanks Paul
Yes you did see some woodpeckers,, my favorite one ,, the pileated ,,, have em here in my backyard ,,,, hear them more than see them ,,, love the adult and juvi,,, oh yea,,, they eat berries , fruit and such too,, great captures

Thanks Russ. I wondered why it was doing that.
Great picture of the illusive pileated! I have plenty of Red Bellies in my yard, but yet to see a red headed woodpecker here. My woodpeckers eat at the feeders, so insects are not all they eat. And they like peanuts, shelled.

Thanks Brigit I had a redbellied land in my tree right outside my window last month and i just happened to have my camera primmed and ready. I love Wood peckers!

Thanks everyone for looking

steve

Very nice series. Especially like the wood peckers. Image 2 'red-belly' is what we in the UK, I think, call the 'greater-spotted-woodpecker' I have one visit occassionally and it feeds from my feeders and also takes peanuts. :cool::cool:

Well done Steve,

Woodpeckers are very photogenic are'nt they?

Sadly seeing your images reminded me of the one whose knocking I used to wake up to wake up to each morning. He lived in an old oak tree near to my back garden. The tree had to be removed, so he lost his home. No home - no resident woodpecker. Yes there were times when I could have done without the noise, but now he is no longer around and we miss him.

roger

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

Well done Steve,

Woodpeckers are very photogenic are'nt they?

Sadly seeing your images reminded me of the one whose knocking I used to wake up to wake up to each morning. He lived in an old oak tree near to my back garden. The tree had to be removed, so he lost his home. No home - no resident woodpecker. Yes there were times when I could have done without the noise, but now he is no longer around and we miss him.

roger

Yes they are, sorry to hear about the loss of such a great tree.. We have very few red heads in my area and I think that it is mostly because we have to cut down any dead trees in the neighborhood for safety. So I have to go way out of town to get pics of some good red heads.:frown:

later on guys

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom