Wow! What about the Asian Carps along the Mississippi???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by italy74, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Hi guys,
    I've just seen on tv (evening news) what a kind of huge fishes (carps and sturgeons) are haunting the most famous northamerican river... I guess fishermen will be happy to go out, this weekend :)

Have a nice evening!

2. Those carps are horrrrible! :eek:

We shot over at the Mississippi, and saw them jumping up
    out of the water, just because a boat was moving somewhere
    in the vicinity (maybe even 500yards away, or more).
    And they jump into your boat. They are very dangerous
    and the fishermen do not like them, at alllll!!!!!! :mad:

3. Hi Cheryle

I've actually seen those carps and their strange and dangerous behaviour, mine was a way to kid a bit with you: usually are fishermen that go to fishing, now it's the fishes themselves that go being fished!
    Sorry for the wordplay... :)

4. Wordplay is ok, understood...
    But those carp are so big, and ugly :-(

5. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  6. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    they are all through the ohio river too. Its terrible. You can't go fishing in in anymore.

7. That's crazy and scary :(

8. Well, that's the price to pay for introducing alien species to an ecosystem. A similar, and destastrous thing has happened when the Nile Perch was introduced to Lake Victoria in Africa. Apart from the fact that the once clear water of this lake became increasingly eutrophic (and thus very murky), a high percentage of the indigenous fish species went extinct.

Other examples: killer bees, fire ants, termites, rabbits (Australia), Brown Tree Snake (Guam), the mass extinction (caused by introduced species) of local species in Hawaii, etc..., and the numerous invaders carried around by world-wide traffic since historical times (rats, algae, deseases, ...).

It is even worse with plants.

Cheers

9. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Ask the Australians about toads !!!! Even made it into a Simpson's episode !!

10. Ah, yes, forgot about the toads :eek:

Cheers

11. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I saw a news report with graphic presentation of these fish jumping up, and a boat clipping along at 20-30 knotts makes the fish about like a baseball bat! A few people got hit in this documentary, and they were quite serious hits. No permenant injury in this case, but you really just can't ride in an open boat now, seems to dangerous.

Really a sad situation.