WRC New Zealand rally fun

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Desmond, Aug 30, 2008.

1. I say "fun" because I couldn't care less about motor sport but enjoy the photography side of things . To start with I loaded the "photovan" with all sorts of comforts and set it up on a friend's farm ....

Rallysun014.jpg

We got a few head on shots with me sitting on my newly added platform on the roof .

Rallysun023.jpg

Rallysun053.jpg

2. Then I headed for the ladder set up next to the fence and tried a few with the SB24 flash
    generally taken around f5.6 1/800th sec , a few at 1/500th sec .

Rallysun083.jpg

Rallysun085.jpg

and a few with the 10-20mm lens

rallysigma002.jpg

rallysigma007.jpg

3. Then I walked up the hill to this spot where I was told they were leaving the road occsionally ....

Steering in the air !

Rallysun160001.jpg

Rallysun166.jpg

Rallysun170.jpg

and of course a snack halfway through ....

Rallysun016.jpg

4. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    That is to cool. Need an assistant? The airborne shots are great!

5. Desmond, these are great shots, thanks for sharing. Love the photovan!!!!

6. Thanks , an assistant might come in handy but I'm just a hobby photographer as it is ! In two weeks I will be going to Taupo for the "Jamis day night thriller " http://www.daynightthriller.co.nz/ , claimed to be the biggest 12 hour mountain bike in the world[?] with 3000 entrants cycling around an 8km track from 10am to 10pm , some in teams of 2,3,4,5 and some doing it solo constantly . last year I took 4000 pictures in one day !
    This time I have the 'photovan' .

7. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. We had some time in the morning while we were waiting so I set the D40 up on a tripod and took some pictures of me doing dangerous things on the road , then added the cars later ....

rallyfun015ac.jpg

Chimping is dangerous ....

rallyfun021aca.jpg

Rallysun049cs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  9. I do like the last pic! - I sent a copy to my son in akd (without explanation) who was also out at the rally - he thought you were a "f.....n idiot" so I have now sent him the whole link so he can see all your pics and how you did it.

10. I thought about is afterwards and wished I had also taken one of me running with my arms waving in the air in front of the car , maybe even sitting on my folding chair :biggrin:

11. Sapiro

Sapiro Guest

Great action shots, great color.........we have some rallies here in CO, I'll have to check out...thanks for sharing

12. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    very cool Desmond, I used to cover the WRC every year until I moved over here.

Thansk for sharing, good action shots and very clever in PS for the others - had me going for a minute

13. The good colour in the closer shots was from the SB24 flash . I've disconnected the "flash ready" pin so the camera can go over 1/500th and still get flash synch at any speed .

14. Very well done, Desmond! Especially like the airborne ones, next to the wide angles from above the road.

15. Thanks , I would have liked to have gotten closer with the wide angle from the side , maybe triggered wirelessly next time !
    The flash added some nice colour to the shots . With this one you can see the flash on the ground but it didn't trigger because of the cheap wireless trigger , the colours aren't as nice as the ones with flash .

Rallysun099.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008