Wrigley Field Chicago

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by eng45ine, Jun 30, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Spent the evening enjoying Chicago's Lovable Losers...The Cubs!!! :D Here are a few images using my D2H and a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR...

Carlos Zambrano helping his own cause by laying down a sacrifice bunt to move the baserunner to second base...

Rightfielder Jeromy Burnitz takes a hug cut at a change-up pitch for a long single...

Cubs fans would rather die than give in to an automated scoreboard. It in itself is a Chicago Landmark...

And aside from a Chicago hot dog with everything on it, nothing is sweeter than a child getting an official MLB baseball. He was thrilled... 8)

Thanks for looking and feel free to offer a critique.

2. It's a beautiful ballpark. Do you have a press pass or something? Those at-bat pics look like they're practically on the field.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I wish that I had a press pass...I actually was able to purchase first row tickets through a lottery conducted by the Cubs. The seats were expensive, but well worth the expense.

4. Ah first row, that'd explain it. Great shots :D

5. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Great shots, Frank. I love the moment you captured in the last one. Your angle is great on number one. Good seats at Wrigley!

Tom

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the complements, Tom. We bit the bullet and bought front row seats for a game...it was well worth the price!!!

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Those look great Frank. The seats don't explain it all - there's something more to them. They really have an 'in person' feel - great job!

I like the one of the kid. The bald guy seems to be thinking "I could have caight it...:("

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Chris...I truly had a ball shooting the game, if I could only get a media pass to shoot from the photographers pit...that would be so cool!!!
    I appreciate the complement!

9. MAN these are GREAT!

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Dave...I appreciate the kudos!

11. Great shots neat perspective on the first one, glad you had a good time

12. Frank,

You've got some great shots here, in particular the first and the last of this series. It looks like a tough light, and you did very well with it (with your Expodisc?) :lol:

I am glad you could sit in the first row in this legendary stadium. The best seat I have had so far was in row 10 behind home plate, at SBC-park (SF Giants)... and no camera! :-(

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Mike and Philippe,

I was thrilled to be able to buy these seats through a lottery from the Cubs. These seats were added two years ago and are only sold through a separate lottery. I hope to buy similar seats once a year. If you look at my Pbase site under the wrigley field gallery, I have additional images from this game and a day game played three days later where I sat about 45 rows off the playing surface. Thankfully, I brought pro glass and was able to touch up the images on PSE3.

Thanks so much for looking and offering your comments!

14. JMartin

JMartin Guest

ahh, real baseball in a historic yard... I am truely jealous!

Those are beautiful shots Frank. Being a long time baseball fan there are two fields on my list of dreams to see - Wrigley Field and Fenway Park.

You photos have just added to how bad I want to visit!

Thank you for sharing.

Joe

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Joe...Wrigley is a very charming park. I've also been to Cellular One (White Sox), Bank One BallPark (Diamondbacks) and Miller Park (Brewers). Wrigley may not have the state of the arts updates and whatnot...but it is a wonderful venue that keeps it's fan close to the action and it is nestled amonst a Chicagoland community known as "Wrigleyville". Just a very nice place to see a baseball game. Thanks for looking....now go out and see a game!!! :D

16. Nice shots Frank!! I hope someday to be there!! :D :D :D

17. They're all excellent, but you can't beat the first one for sharpness and action, and the last one for the moment it captured.

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Bryan...I'd be happy to meet you there and the first round is on me!!! Thanks Pa...I was thrilled to have good seats and I was soo pleased with the results of my shooting. Sitting that close to the action can really spoil a shooter because most people don't have the opportunity to get that close. I consider myself very fortunate and I was intelligent enough to bring the wife...so the price of the tickets was "fully sactioned", if you know what I mean?!?!?

Here's an image using the same equipment but sitting about 45 rows off the field and out past third base....thank goodness for quality Nikon gear and PSE3!!!

19. Frank, wonderful gallery! I like "Frenzy" the best. As a life-long Cubs fan I can recall many happy afternoons at Wrigley Field ...and the hot dogs!

My wife is an even bigger fan. She had been known to cut high school (a Catholic Girl's school!) to watch a spring afternoon game with the Cubbies. Both our cars have Cub license plates (we live in Virginia) which are difficult to get. She would bring cookies for the Cubs players (late fifties)..it was a different world then. you could actually get close to the players.

Anyway, it brought back some great memories. Thanks

Rich

20. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Rich,

I'm glad to know that you and your wife have history here in Chicago. I'll bet the images that I posted brought back memories of good times. Your thought about times changing over the years and not being able to get close to the players is oh so sad. I got some strange looks from the players when I shot from the front row a couple of weeks ago...as though they seemed violated that I was taking their picture without their permission. Oh well...life goes on..............