Wrigley Field Chicago

I am surprised a ML Ballpark let you in with a lens over 50mm. Comerica Park in Detroit would not let me in with a SLR camera and a 200mm lens. Maybe they were getting ready for the tougher rules for an All-Star game.

Great color.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I had visited Wrigley Field for three games prior to bringing in any camera equipment. Each time I entered, I asked two customer relations members about any regulations pertaining to cameras and zoom lenses. I was told each time that there were no set regulations providing that the camera and lens did not adversely block anyones view of the game. When I arrived at the first game with my equipment (D2H, 28-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8), I was truly prepared to be denied entry and be forced to leave them in the car...well, no one said anything as I entered only asking to see inside the camera bag checking for weapons, bombs, etc. When I arrived at my seat and pulled out the camera and long lens...I was waiting for an usher to ask me to put the equipment away because of some regulations...the only thing said to me by Wrigley Field personnel was, "that is some nice camera stuff!" and I proceeded to shoot about 750 images. Three days later when I returned to Wrigley with my daughter with the same equipment, same scenario occured...walked right in, sat down and proceeded to shoot 700+ images and not a word said by any officials from the ballpark.

Maybe it was my friendly smile??? :D I thought at least something would be said about not being able to sell them legally because of MLB policies...not an official word uttered. And with regard to selling any of these images...I haven't any interest in that...all of the images are for personal, entertainment-type use.

So, that's my story...I had a ball shooting and I am enjoying the images that they allowed me to shoot.

Frank,

I bet the rules for the All Star game were stricter.

I am going to try your idea and call the ball park and get the official rules for a regular game. Your photos brought back my desire to take my camera to a ball game.

I know you said you took your 70-200. Did you use any TC's with it? Have you tried your 300mm at a game yet?

Dan

Hey Dan,

I did not use any TCs with this set-up...just the D2H and the 70-200mm VR. I would have loved to bring in my monopod...but they said no when I asked at previous games. I have thought about buying some tickets for an upcoming game and bringing in the 300mm 2.8, but the only downside is that it is quite heavy to be shooting hand-held for 800 images...but I have done stupider things in my day!!! If some sports action is what you crave, I hope that you will contact the Tigers and see if they will allow you to shoot with longer glass than 50mm...I'd enjoy seeing how you do in their ballpark.

D

dbirdsong

D. L. Miller said:
Frank,

I bet the rules for the All Star game were stricter.

I am going to try your idea and call the ball park and get the official rules for a regular game. Your photos brought back my desire to take my camera to a ball game.

I know you said you took your 70-200. Did you use any TC's with it? Have you tried your 300mm at a game yet?

Dan
I believe that the Tigers (and Red Wings) have a 3" limit on the size of the lens on the camera.
I remember a couple years ago my former son in law took me to see the Red Wings and I seem to remember a sign about that.
I might consider using my 28-200 Nikon lens and seeing if they would let it in to the tiger game, but I have my doubts about being successful.

(For those that wonder why I mentioned the Red Wings, they are also owned by the same owner, Mike Illitch)

Hey Dave,

Being a Chicagoan, some might believe that Blackhawk fans should hate the Red Wings and their fans...but it is mostly jealousy because the Red Wings are so talent laden. It is tough to like a team like the Red Wings and their ownership when the Blackhawks are so non-competative and their owner has as much money as Bill Gates!!!

I, as a hockey fan, have always enjoyed watching the Red Wings, it's like watching a hockey clinic...perfection on ice!!!

Hey Eng45ine,

Great action pictures you have got there man! I like them a lot especially the one where the guy hits the ball with the bat 8) . It is not always easy to capture that moment, you did more than a good job here. I have been to a ice-hockey match this year, same thing ... we must try to capture just that right moment, capturing that right moment is using your feelings, the nice thing is that as a photographer you are probably more involved into the game than most of the fans and/or spectators :D . I think I have a few of them, will post them later on. Nice to read that you used the 70-200mm F/2.8 VR lens, can't wait till it arrives :p

Keep up the good work Eng45ine, seems to me that you are a big baseball fan, can't blame you, it is a great sport.

Kind Regards

Johan

Hi Johan,

I appreciate the kind words about my sports images. I truly love shooting sports...something wholistic about capturing kids in their pursuit of winning. I have shot many different sports, but the list of sports that I have not shot is much longer. I hope to someday shoot some more hockey, but that is a tough one, I have found local areas to be quite dark and I haven't found my timing for capturing the action at the correct time. But I'm not the type to give up without a fight.....

Thanks for your kind words......

Eng45ine,

That's the spirit man!!!
I have only done that a few times, but I like it a lot. Hockey is indeed not that easy, it's the fastest team sport there is but hey that is not a thing that may scare us off :D Just go for it, I think you have good experiences from those baseball games. You'll see 8)

Take care

Johan

Wonderful job.

I missed these shots on the forum then came across them while searching for something else and my did you capture them well.

My favorite of course is all of them but the little boy with the ball says it all.

Thanks for sharing and sorry I am a bit late.

Thanks Melissa....

There are so many new posts these days, it doesn't take long for posts to get buried quickly. Thanks for looking at my images from Wrigley, I had a ball shooting them...I just wish I could offer a print to the little guy with his souvenoir. :(

Frank, wonderful captures of a great place. I'd have taken a "beer break" to back up to get a wide angle or two of the whole scene. There is nothing quite like a stadium full of screaming happy humans.

That's a great point...in retrospect, I wish I had done that. Oh well, I guess I'll be forced to go to another game soon and get that shot!!! :D

Ah, if we could act upon retospect. Damn it anyway, now go gotta go back.

I lust after your 70-200 VR. Right now I have to make do with my pedestrian 70-300 ED (see "Safe, Sore Arm and Happiness"... well not the happiness shot).

After purchasing the equipment that I currently carry, it would be culture shock using consumer-type gear. I got back into photography a few years back shooting with an N65 using two kits lenses. I am fortunate that the wife understands how much I enjoy photography and that I stashed away a few bucks to afford all 2.8 glass and the D2H.

Now, I just need to learn how to use it all to the best of mine and it's advantage.

J

JCPhoto

Wow Frank. I'm a big fan of tack sharp shots and you can almost see the stitching on the belts. Big glass is worth the money. I wish I could get out to the air show this year but not quite recovered enough yet. I hope to get there next year and also hope to get around the city as much as you do. Keep up the good work....Jim

Thanks for the kind words Jim...rest your body, there's plenty of time to shoot. I might try to sneak in my 300mm prime next time I head to Wrigley...but it will get heavy after a while without my monopod!!! I might have to sneak that in as well! :roll:

Great shots I must say. Some of those could be in SI.

Did ballpark security give you any problems bringing in the camera and the 70-200mm vr?

I've heard in some event they dont let you bring in long lens.

Hello Manish,

Thanks so much for the kind words...if SI is ready, so am I?!?!?!?!?
Security at Wrigley Field had absolutely no problem with me bringing in my D2H or my Velocity 9 bag which held my 70-200 VR, 28-70mm and SB800. I had asked security on previous visits about any special rules and they replied that cameras with long lenses are fine with them. I stood in line with my equipment like a nervous wreck, but all that they did was check my bag for bombs and booze...then waved me right in. I do know that they won't allow a monopod or else I'd be bringing my 300mm prime next time.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom