Wrist Strap for D300

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by rsirota, Aug 19, 2008.

1. rsirota

rsirota

Aug 6, 2008
    New Lenox, IL
    Can anyone recommend a good (and comfortable) wrist strap for the D300 with a battery pack attached?

Thanks,

2. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    For a basic wrist strap I use the tethers on the Optech straps.. very versatile, inexpensive and easy to swap out.

I have some details of how I set it up in this post...

If you want some pics of how it is setup let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Go to one of those mountaineering stores (Hudson's bay outfitters, EMS, etc.) and buy a caribinier strap. They cost around $5.00; mount them with a medium sized metal keyring hoop.

[​IMG]

4. tagging along - interested in a hand strap personally

5. Ditto!
    Me tagging too!

MikeT

6. Two I've flagged for when I do get one...

prostrap
    camdapter

Lot more than Rich's suggestion, which I'll probably get instead...Rich, does either ring scratch the camera?

7. I always recommend a camdapter strap with the quick release plate (see link in Chris' post above).

8. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

I like the "Prostrap" without the metal rings.....over time I can envision scratches or rub marks on the body....

9. dutchtrumpet

dutchtrumpet

May 2, 2007
    Dallas
    I second that!

10. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    I would tell you to stay away from the prostrap's with the snap straps. They break too easily. My equipment isn't the heaviest either...

I hope to get a Camdapter with the Manfrotto plate soon.

11. rsirota

rsirota

Aug 6, 2008
    New Lenox, IL
    Does anyone know if the AH-4 fits with the extra battery pack?

12. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    From what I have heard & seen, the AH-4 actually fits better with a battery grip attached.

13. Yep.

14. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Another vote for Camdapter. Delivery was quick

15. Sorry, I missed your question till just now. Hard to answer. If it was there and you put two different cameras side by side you might be able to notice a difference. However if you've ever been bumped and the camera slipped out of your hand any small rubs would be worth it. I took it to my favorite camera shop and showed the owner; he put it on commenting on how little it impeded him and then accidentally dropped the camera :eek: It just dangled there swinging. :biggrin: Too bad I wan't selling them.

16. MikeA

MikeA

Aug 26, 2007
    Left coast, USA
    Another vote for the Camdapter. I didn't have a choice with the D3 -- no chance of using Nikon's strap without buying someone else's adapter plate, since (why??) there's no bottom strap lug. Anyway, I got the Camdapter leather model -- not one of the 'designer' models, though -- which is a bit heftier and is a bit more comfortable than the pigskin version. Now I think I shoulda got a designer model because they're downright cool-looking. :)

The adapter plate is well made and has only one flaw IMO -- it has a 'capture screw' that works only with an Allen wrench. There are such things as Allen-type screws that also have slots and I wish the adapter plate had such a thing. You lose that Allen wrench and the one time you need it, you're in a world of hurt. (Not certain about this, but I don't think the 'capture screw' can be removed without damaging the plate.)

Anyway, it's a very well made product and it made a huge difference for the better. The D3 is slightly too large for someone with small-ish hands like mine. I was actually having trouble holding it in a way that my thumb could comfortably reach the AF button on the back. But the Camdapter strap actually changes my hand position in such a way that this is no longer a problem. I might have had a lot of trouble using the camera without the strap!

Good service from that company, too. He shipped it very quickly even though I hadn't paid for express shipping.

17. I've opted for this one.

http://www.coolanyard.com/1/vel-black/#1

Very comfortable, very strong (57lbs load) and stays out of the way. Been using it for about 3 months now, never taking it off the camera, this strap and a Black Rapid is all you need.

18. I have this strap from Op-tech. I just changed the quick connectors out so I could continue to use my Tamrac Neck straps.

[​IMG]

P.S. I might be the only person here who hates the camdaptor, but I thought the straps were week and the leather very cheaply made.

19. Seems like we're talking about both wrist straps and hand straps - I like using the vertical grip on the pro bodies and I think that rules out hand straps for me.

Soo... I've been wanting a wrist strap - something like Rich showed above, but I want to leave my Op/Tech uni-loop connectors on the camera as I use a neck strap fairly often. I just noticed the Gotcha Wrist Strap on the Op/Tech site and ordered one - looks like it will easily connect up with the uni-loop when I don't want a neck strap, and will be long enough to use a D3 in either orientation.