1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wrist Strap for D300

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by rsirota, Aug 19, 2008.

1. rsirota

rsirota

Aug 6, 2008
    New Lenox, IL
    Can anyone recommend a good (and comfortable) wrist strap for the D300 with a battery pack attached?

Thanks,

2. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    For a basic wrist strap I use the tethers on the Optech straps.. very versatile, inexpensive and easy to swap out.

I have some details of how I set it up in this post...

If you want some pics of how it is setup let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Go to one of those mountaineering stores (Hudson's bay outfitters, EMS, etc.) and buy a caribinier strap. They cost around $5.00; mount them with a medium sized metal keyring hoop.

[​IMG]

4. tagging along - interested in a hand strap personally

5. Ditto!
    Me tagging too!

MikeT

6. Two I've flagged for when I do get one...

prostrap
    camdapter

Lot more than Rich's suggestion, which I'll probably get instead...Rich, does either ring scratch the camera?

7. I always recommend a camdapter strap with the quick release plate (see link in Chris' post above).

8. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

I like the "Prostrap" without the metal rings.....over time I can envision scratches or rub marks on the body....

9. dutchtrumpet

dutchtrumpet

May 2, 2007
    Dallas
    I second that!

10. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    I would tell you to stay away from the prostrap's with the snap straps. They break too easily. My equipment isn't the heaviest either...

I hope to get a Camdapter with the Manfrotto plate soon.

11. rsirota

rsirota

Aug 6, 2008
    New Lenox, IL
    Does anyone know if the AH-4 fits with the extra battery pack?

12. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    From what I have heard & seen, the AH-4 actually fits better with a battery grip attached.

13. Yep.

14. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Another vote for Camdapter. Delivery was quick

15. Sorry, I missed your question till just now. Hard to answer. If it was there and you put two different cameras side by side you might be able to notice a difference. However if you've ever been bumped and the camera slipped out of your hand any small rubs would be worth it. I took it to my favorite camera shop and showed the owner; he put it on commenting on how little it impeded him and then accidentally dropped the camera :eek:  It just dangled there swinging. :biggrin: Too bad I wan't selling them.

16. MikeA

MikeA

Aug 26, 2007
    Left coast, USA
    Another vote for the Camdapter. I didn't have a choice with the D3 -- no chance of using Nikon's strap without buying someone else's adapter plate, since (why??) there's no bottom strap lug. Anyway, I got the Camdapter leather model -- not one of the 'designer' models, though -- which is a bit heftier and is a bit more comfortable than the pigskin version. Now I think I shoulda got a designer model because they're downright cool-looking. :) 

The adapter plate is well made and has only one flaw IMO -- it has a 'capture screw' that works only with an Allen wrench. There are such things as Allen-type screws that also have slots and I wish the adapter plate had such a thing. You lose that Allen wrench and the one time you need it, you're in a world of hurt. (Not certain about this, but I don't think the 'capture screw' can be removed without damaging the plate.)

Anyway, it's a very well made product and it made a huge difference for the better. The D3 is slightly too large for someone with small-ish hands like mine. I was actually having trouble holding it in a way that my thumb could comfortably reach the AF button on the back. But the Camdapter strap actually changes my hand position in such a way that this is no longer a problem. I might have had a lot of trouble using the camera without the strap!

Good service from that company, too. He shipped it very quickly even though I hadn't paid for express shipping.

17. I've opted for this one.

http://www.coolanyard.com/1/vel-black/#1

Very comfortable, very strong (57lbs load) and stays out of the way. Been using it for about 3 months now, never taking it off the camera, this strap and a Black Rapid is all you need.

18. I have this strap from Op-tech. I just changed the quick connectors out so I could continue to use my Tamrac Neck straps.

[​IMG]

P.S. I might be the only person here who hates the camdaptor, but I thought the straps were week and the leather very cheaply made.

19. Seems like we're talking about both wrist straps and hand straps - I like using the vertical grip on the pro bodies and I think that rules out hand straps for me.

Soo... I've been wanting a wrist strap - something like Rich showed above, but I want to leave my Op/Tech uni-loop connectors on the camera as I use a neck strap fairly often. I just noticed the Gotcha Wrist Strap on the Op/Tech site and ordered one - looks like it will easily connect up with the uni-loop when I don't want a neck strap, and will be long enough to use a D3 in either orientation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.