WT-2A??'s - does anyone use it?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by marc, Dec 3, 2005.

1. marc

marc Guest

wt-2a, i am contemplating purchase, we already have wt-1, i have used it only 3 times.
    i love the product and what it can do, but way to difficult to set up and when mounted on camera

wow, it is huge

is anyone using the new wt-2a with d2x, i am ready to splurge.

i have been playing with coolpix p1, for a week, it has wifi, it is fantastic, effortless. apparently operates in ptp, same as wt-2a.

does anyone have this item and used it , what are your opinions

marc

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2005
  2. I have it and I use it when the situation warrants it.

I use it to upload images in real time.

With the WT-2A working, it connects via WiFi to my PDA which sits on my belt. The PDA connects to my cell phone via Bluetooth, my cell phone connects to the Internet via Sprint PCS. When the PDA photo software sees an image in the "upload" folder, it automatically tells the cell phone to connect to the internet and uploads whatever is there to a pre-set FTP site where editors can see what's going on in real time (20 minutes before anyone else in the world).

Can do the same with sporting events. It's very cool, not without it's trials and tribulations but very cool when working as it should.

_/oe

3. marc

marc Guest

thanks joe

that sounds cool, i actually wanted to use it for some work i am doing this weekend

we are shooting santa photos, want to download to computer then print 4x6

i did not want to be tethered.

do you think the setup is easier and more reliable?

4. Marc,

I had one for a short time and got rid of it because it did not suite MY needs. I found the setup to be convoluted, battery drain excessive and transmitting RAW files was too slow... 30 to 45 seconds under ideal conditions.

My advice would be to try one that you can return if you don't like it.

I'm sure there are MANY photographers out there who coudn't live without it, but that doesn't mean you will find it a good investment.

Personally, I don't know why Nikon doesn't make a multi-gig storage device that would attach the same way. Can't imagine anyone NOT beating down doors for something like that.

Woody

5. Yeah, that would sell like hotcakes. And with 2.5" drive capacities being what they are now, they could easily manage 200 GB plus an extra battery to power it.

6. marc

marc Guest

you are correct, i got today a sandisk usb mini cruzer 4gb

this thing is awesome, smaller than your index finger, fast, i am wearing on lanyyard around my neck, does not weigh anything

you could put 300 d2x raw files on this thing

could you imagine if they produced a storage device that attached to camera as big as wt2, you could have 200gb and totally automatic and portable

awesome

well for 500.00 i will just tether myself

thanks guys

how bout that guy at MIA yesterday, made my day, i will never forget my meds again