WT-2A use with Mac

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by frogpix, May 24, 2005.

1. Hi,

I got a WT-2A to use with my D2X for some 'special purpose' photography and am having some trouble pairing the camera to the Powerbook or the G5. If there is anybody out there in Nikon Land who has one of these and is using it with a Mac, please let's hook up and maybe we can help each other. The documentation is the usual Nikon "not quite enough information" and there is NOTHING on the Nikon site about this piece of gear. Apparently they are not exactly flying off the shelf.

Thanks,

Steve

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I've never done this myself. Just to keep you hopeful though here are two articles that suggest that this is something that is done regularly.

Good luck Steve!

3. Thanks, I read those. I need to find some others who use this gear. I just KNOW they're out there, I can hear them breathing........

Steve

4. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Steve,

I don't have a WT-2A, but I am VERY proficient with Macs (I have 11 of them) and networking them (Ethernet, AppleTalk, AirPort).

What sort of issue are you having?

C

5. Cory,

I am trying to set up the WT-2A to feed pictures to my laptop or desktop. I have it working so I can control the camera with Nikon capture and the camera appears in the window on the program that sets up the interface with the camera through Airport, but I don't know how to set up where the images appear. When I fire the shutter, the lights come on that appear when data is being transferred, but I can't find where the images are going in the laptop. Color me stupid, but networking is the hardest thing for me about computers. I'll bet I'm not alone in this one. I don't understand it at all.

Thanks,
    Steve

6. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    OK,

I will look into it further and get back to you. In the meantime, try checking in the following two places for the photos:

Macintosh HD > Users > yourname > Pictures

- or -

Macintosh HD > Users > yourname > Documents

I am downloading the manuals for the WT-2A, D2X, D2Hs, and Nikon Capture 4.2. I should have an answer for you later today.

C

7. Thanks, I'll do that. This equipment could be used for very good surveillance work on birds or 'other animals.'

Steve

8. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Not a problem...I am looking at buying a D2Hs or D2X, SB-600 or SB-800, and the WT-2A in the near future...will give me a little more insight into what I will be getting into! ;)

C

9. I presently have the D2X, 12-24, 17-55, 80-400,105 Micro 2.8, D70, SB800, and SB600. Am not overjoyed with the 80-400 VR, but have to test it much more and the weather has not been even fit to go outside, let alone shoot photos with any seriousness. I HIGHLY recommend you get the SB800 over the 600. I am also about to get the 70-200 VR with the 1.7 auto teleconverter. The word is that this is a sharper lens than the 80-400. Like I said, I still have to give the 80-400 the 'acid' test before I sell it.

Steve

10. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Sorry Steve...got involved in a few things that needed my attention today.

Had a chance to look thru the doco quickly...here are a few things to check:

1. Are you using PTP/IP instead of FTP mode in the WT-2A setup? (follow directions starting on page 14 or the WT-2A manual)

2. Did you install the pairing software on the Mac you want to view/control from? (Wireless Pairing Software, page 41)

3. Do you have the Firewall activated on the Mac? If so, you have to allow/open port 5353.

4. The Ad-hoc mode will bypass the AirPort and go directly to the Mac via it's AirPort Card...maybe that way will work.

Try some of those and let me know if you are successful. I am more than willing to discuss via telephone if you'd like.

Cory

11. Cory,
    I am trying to find where I open up port 5353. That might be the deal. I have paired the WT with the Mac, but when I do that the name of the camera comes up, but it never gets a checkmark in front of it like the books says. I can control the camera with NC, but I can't upload photos shot with the camera when I shoot them with the camera and not controlled with NC. I know there is something really simple and stupid here and it's probably me, but I think I am just missing some little glitch that I'm overlooking. All the other stuff you mentioned I have done. I went right by the book.

Steve

12. I may not have done it right, but I created a port number 5353 and opened it up. Spent about an hour and a half on this already and will go back at it until I have to start making phone calls to clients. Can't get any fun stuff done after 0900.

Steve

13. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    OK...sounds good. I will have a chance to get into this again later today.

We'll get it...no worries.

C

14. I spent about two hours on the phone this morning with the Tech guy from Nikon. We both learned a lot. I had to create another user in my Mac and then create an Ad Hoc network. Each time you turn on the computer and camera and want them to work together, you have to make sure your WT is set to work with the ad hoc network and that the ad hoc network in Airport is set to othe one that is created and called whatever you have named your computer. You then open Nikon Capture and start shooting. I have a folder on the desktop that is called, for some reason, Nikon Images and I use that for my images to go to as they are uploaded from the camera. If I shoot a bunch of photos and don't instantly upload them from the camera as I shoot them (have the WT turned off) when I turn the WT back on it opens iPhoto (I set it up that was as I like it MUCH better than Nikon View. This acts just like it did when I plugged the camera into the USB port and uploads from the CF card and dumps the images off the card afterward. You have the option to NOT dump them if you desire.

Have I confused you yet? I sure as hell had a rough day of it so far. I have spent about 10, or more, hours working through this. I haven't even started to figure out the FTP part of the machine. I'll need a networking kinda person to pull me through this. Sure glad I am not a drinking man......... much.

Steve

15. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    So, I if I understand your post, you've gotten the Capture/photo viewing worked out? Do the photos you take while remotely controlling your D2X show up in Capture or iPhoto?

As for FTP: I use FTP almost every day between my office Dual 2GHz G5 and my Xserve (located in a data center), as well as on my local network here. The FTP part should be more straightforward than what you have been dealing with. It is a lot simpler (I say while knocking on wood).

C

16. I can shoot and have them instantly come up in the Capture window. If I shoot without the WiFi rig on and then turn it on, iPhoto comes up and asks if I want to upload. I sure wish iPhoto, Capture, and PhotoShop would upgrade so that NEFs would be brought in by iPhoto and we could do more stuff with NC and PhotoShop.

Steve