WT-4a Wireless Transmitter for D3 ???

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by zapufast, Aug 7, 2008.

1. I am looking for answers to questions I have about this transmitter.
    I am trying to see if this will benefits me for the kind of jobs I do.

1) Can I take pictures and choose which ones I want to send to the laptop? Ex. Can I take 3 pictures and choose the best one and only send that 1?

2) Can I send the files to a folder on my laptop without Camera Control II?

3) How long does it take to send a large fine jpeg?

4) How many shots transferred can I get on 1 charge? (I hear that these transmitters use quite a bit of power)

2. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

1. Yes
    2. Any standard FTP server program should work (unless nikon have done a radical departure from previous models)
    3. Don't know - how big is the file ? Ad-hoc networks are slower than infrastructure. Is everything running at 54Meg. So subjective !!!!
    4. Don't know since I use the previous versions which just drained the camera battery !!!! But if it's like laptops, the wi-fi will drain the battery down very quickly unless it has some sort of suspend feature between shots.

3. Thanks Adrian,
    My biggest question was #1.

Another Question.
    Can I select 5-6 random pictures and send them at one time or do I have to select one picture wait for it to upload, then select the next?

Ex. Will it transfer one picture and put the others in a waiting list that will upload when the first picture finishes?

4. I shot with one last week. It belongs to a new shooting buddy of mines.

It automatically starts to read from the card taking one image after the other. I did not read anything in the instruction booklet that gave any indication of being able to select images to transmit the transmit in succession. I tested it out in the field during football practice. It's a pretty cool little gadget. When I got out of it's operating range it would start where it left off sending the images to my laptop when I came back into range.

I did notice that it used the battery pretty quick by the end of the 2 hour practice the battery was nearly spent in the WT4. My battery in the D3 held up well.

5. Thanks Tyrone, if you find out any more information, please let me know.

Thats good info about the battery, I knew they were battery hogs.

I have searched the internet and there isn't much real world info of there.

Anybody else out there have one of these things?

6. Hey Tim,

I am going to shoot with it tomorrow and I plan to take notes of the length of time the batteries last in the unit from start to finish. I will report on it by Sunday.

7. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

The menu system should change when you add the wifi unit. One of the options (on my D2Hs anyway) is auto send or send marked (something like that anyway). That way you shoot 100. images,review them on the rear LCD, marking the ones you want and then wi-fi them away. If the D3/D300 is different that is a radical departure for Nikon and I think Nikon prefer evolution rather than revolution.

8. Thanks Tyrone!

9. This is what I want to do with it.

If it works this way, then I will get one.

10. IIRC, you need to buy not just the WT-4A but (at least) one EL-EN3e battery and its charger separately if you have a D3 and not a D200/300/700 which come with that batt and charger.

11. Thanks Joe, I was aware of that.

I had intended on buying those as well.

12. Hey Tim,

Wasn't able to do much shooting as we ended up getting rained out. However I did note how far we got in regard to battery usage for what we did shoot.

I put about 100 images through a D300 with a fully charged battery in the WT-4 and noticed that the battery indicator had sucked almost a 1/4 of the battery up until we stopped shooting. I was actually out of range from the laptop for 3/4 of the shots. Once I got back to the tent where the laptop was it took about 15 minutes or so for the upload to complete.

Other factors that affected the battery drain were the D300 I shot with which was my buddies and he has the dreaded Dead Battery Syndrome. This was the first time I've seen that as my D300 and D3 have not displayed that at all. Knock on wood!!! Every few shots I had to physically turn the camera off and switch it back on to get a full charge to show in the camera.

Next Sunday I will use the transmitter with the D3 for the entire day so we should get a full detailed report for sure then. We start shooting at 10:00am and go on through until the end of the last game that is scheduled to start around 2:30pm.

13. Thanks for the write up, Tyrone!

What kind of range do you get at the ball park with all the metal fences?

Have you thought about carrying a wireless router (improved antenna) and hook it up infrastructure mode or would that work?

14. On the baseball field where we were set up the tent I could go all over the diamond both sides and we were fine. When I crossed over to the other two diamonds was when I was out of range.

I had not thought about carrying a router. I suppose that would be an idea to improve the range. We might consider giving that a try down the road. I am anxious to see how well we do next weekend shooting all day with it doing some football and what the range will be on the field. I'm prepared to keep a battery on the charger for standby. I will keep you posted.

15. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

A router won't increase the range if you're carrying it. You need to put it half way between you and the laptop. Alternatively get a booster antenna (Nikon do an expensive one) but (from memory) just get one from eBay with a RP-SMA female connector.
    I use the Dlink AP730 which is now discontinued but it draws it's power from the USB slot on your laptop or any 5volt source. And it's smalll enough to always carry in your laptop case.

16. Adrian,
    Does the AP730 have a RP-SMA male plug on it, or is it internal?
    Are you using the router as a repeater or are you connected to the router via RJ-45 cable?