1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

WTB: Something from B&H for $50

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Billy Ng, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Help me out here my peeps,

My sister in law gave me a $50 gift certificate to B&H for my birthday ... I've been sitting on this thing (quite literally actually since it's in my wallet) since March 1st and I have no idea what to buy.

As far as the important stuff goes, that's all in my sig. I've also got a pretty junky tripod that I have no need to upgrade, some really good Lowepros that serve me well, 9 gigs worth of Compact flash good for approximately 1000 photos at a time. I've got a Rocket Blower, a Lens Pen, an extension tube, an umbrella I barely use, a Sekonic light meter, and more books than I know what to do with.

So what do I do with this gift certificate? I can save it and use it towards a set of Pocket Wizards which is definitely on my "to get" list ... but that's too expensive to do right now and to be honest, unless business picks up significantly, might be too expensive to do until next year (and at that point, this gift certificate might be expired).

Any cool things I should have that I don't? Obviously $50 isn't a lot, but there's gotta be a "must have" out there that I could use?

2. How about a monopod? Might be useful with the 70-200 especially if you add a TC in the future. I don't know what you like to shoot, but a good monopod is a easy investment for the price range you are looking at.

3. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    You know, it's funny you should say that because the only thing I found myself looking at all morning was monopods.

As far as my subjects ... I shoot children mostly, my local niche is on-location children candids. I was thinking about a monopod because I shot my first wedding over memorial day weekend and found myself wanting a brace every now and again. My only reservation about a monopod is what I do with it when I remove it from the camera. I shoot non-standard angles (for instance, I got a couple of dancing shots from the floor, shot upward towards the ceiling) fairly often and with 1 zoom and 3 primes in the bag, lenses as well. I wonder if a monopod will be more in my way than it will be useful.

Do you have any recommendations for a decent monopod under $80? I would love to get a quality ball head plus carbon fiber pod, but my budget is blown on the pod alone to say nothing of a $200+ head.

4. will she add a "0" to it?

5. Filters? Extra battery? Eyecup? Right angle viewfinder (higher than $50)? Monitor calibration device (also higher than $50)?

6. GBRandy recommended to me the Manfrotto 680B ($58) because he broke a cheaper monopod with his older 300 2.8. I bought the 681 in a moment of weakness at a Wolf store. It is rated for 26lbs and the heaviest thing I have is GBRandys older 300 2.8 that weights about 6lbs, and then either the D2H or D200 w/grip. After I heard of one breaking, I went overboard on support.

When I’m not using it I put it in my backpack, although it sticks out of the top a bit even when collapsed.

GBRandy’s reccomentation to me:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...otto_680B_680B_4_Section_Compact_Monopod.html

What I ended up with (no regrets):
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5251-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_681_681_Heavy_Duty_Monopod.html

7. how bout an extra memory card?

8. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Off the top of my head, I'm thinking "probably not" ... but there's always hope =)

9. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Filters: Nope
    Battery: Already have full grip
    Eyecup: Nope
    ViewFinder: Nope
    Calibration: Very good idea ... though the two WHCC recommends are both significantly more expensive than this. Researching now ....

10. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    I can always use more memory, especially after Memorial Day weekend when I shot over 1000 photos and had literally less than 100 shots left before a full empty situation. But for a gift certificate ... I don't know, another card just isn't cool enough =)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.