WTB: TC-17E

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Retief, Jul 20, 2005.

1. New, Used, matters not much as long as it works wonderfully and only costs $100 :lol: :lol: , oh, ok, maybe I could go $110....USD that is....

Seriously, I am looking for one of these, any pointers to good online folks appreciated if no one has one lying about they need to part with. Imported is not an issue for these either, although US or Canadian would be preferable.

Thanks,

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey Bill,
    I am looking for one also.
    If ya see a couple good deals let me know.
    Thanks

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. WELL! My limited experience with the 1.7x is on a 300 f2.8. In good light, works like a charm, in low light stick to the 1.4x. On a 300 f4, it's ok in good light, but I would avoid it in anything less than good light and stick to the 1.4x. It is sharper on the 2.8 version than the 4 version.

here is a shot with the 1.7x on a 300 f2.8:

original.
    original.

ok I lied, there were two shots... 8) Oh, one thing, helps to be as close to the birds as you can.... 8)

5. I am also looking for a 1.7 for my 200-400mm VR and my 600mm F/4.

Russ

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I would tend to agree with Harris about shooting with TC17E in lower light circumstances - the focusing speed does suffer by comparison with the TC14E. OTOH, it's still faster than the TC20E, as well as substantially sharper.

John P.

7. Well, I'm going to go against the grain here and do a "mass response" in one reply....

1. Gale, Paul, Russ: Here I am looking for one of these, and you think I'm going to tell YOU where a good deal is before I get MINE :!: :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: To be honest, there are a couple up on eBay right now that don't look too bad, although they are both Grey Market. Given that the first thing I'll do with mine is to modify the mount, the warranty is shot anyway so Grey works for me.

2. Harris, Harris, Harris. Please take this comment as it is meant:
    I just repeted that 14 times with my face all screwed up and in a very sarcastic tone. You ding-dang-dong-darling Floridians just torque me off no end with this "close" bit and always in the "sunshine", while I'm happy to be within 200 feet and not getting rained on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OK, enough drivel, thanks for the shots. I have seen, and heard, great things about the 1.7. I expect a degradation from the 1.4 in AF speed as the light drops, but that is one thing where the Sigma really helps is to have the full-time Manual focus as well. I expect that the 1.7 will still hunt far less than the 2.0, which surpisingly works once in a while when I have great light and good contrast. Thanks for the examples, they do help...

John, I have actually gotten decent results with my TC-20E, I think I have a "good" copy. I have even stacked my TC-14 and the TC-20, which is a LOT of reach on the 500mm and when the tripod is locked down, no wind, darned good technique and manual focus and really good light, even THAT works OK :wink: What both you and Harris allude to is in keeping with everything else I have heard.

OK, now to everybody else, so where, or where, to nab one of these beasties?

8. For what it is worth, I just got one today, delivered by the UPS guy. It is a grey market one from Adorama for $334.95 + $10.35 shipping to Ohio. I ordered on 7/13 and they were out of stock, but I left my order in place after I called and they said some were due in early the next (this) week. As promised, one was shipped Monday and arrived today.

From their website it looks like they are in stock right now.
    Bob