WTO protest, hong kong

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by malfayu, Dec 18, 2005.

1. hi everyone, as you may have seen on the news, there was a big protest/riot here in HK and naturally, i was there to spectate/ photograph as i had nothing else to do. Anyway, this is my first stab at photojournalism and it was such an adrenline pumping experience. My D70 is beng fixed for back focus:frown: , so i decided to try the Nikon FE that i got from ebay few weeks back. I've never used a MF camera before, i can't believe satisfying and quick it was in use, and that viewfinder is like heaven compared to that crappy hole in my D70. it's good since i'm a newbie at this, any advice will be most welcome. Anyway, here are some pics that i though i'd share
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The riot police
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All pics taken with Nikon FE set on auto, Fuji RVP 100F, Sigma 70-200 2.8 and Nikon 18-35, you can surely tell which one i've used for each shots.

2. sorry here are the photos

first post, i didn't know i had to host my pics somewhere online

anyway-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2005
  3. Good PJ shots! You're pretty brave to venture into such an unpredictable situation.....

4. Nice shots, and very brave.

A friend called me yesterday afternoon to go and take pictures. I declined because
    1. I was on 24 hours standby and didn't want to be held up in traffic if I needed to rush back to my hospital when there were large number of casualties, and
    2. It's a very dangerous and unpredictable situation and I didn't want to risk myself or the camera, plus
    3. Presence of civilians would complicate the situation and made life difficult for the police

5. cheers frits, i have to say it was pretty scary in there, i was inches away from getting pepper sprayed at one point and the place was literally jam packed, i think there are more specators than actual protsters. It was such a great experience though and definitely one of my most memorable shoot, especially since i've never ben to anything like this before. The FE really is a joy to use, it's just the fact that you know it's all your work if you get it right and in situations like these, trying to focus a 200mm at f2.8 really was an immense challenge for me, since i've always relied on the AF on all my previous cameras. But seeing the image snap in the VF and getting back the prints really makes it all worthwhile, espcially after all the OOF images that i was so used to from using the faulty D70 AF.

6. Phil,
    I realised that it might not have been helpful for the police, me and all the othr people being there, but the temptation was just too strong, i thought it's an opportunity too rare and good to miss. I was very lucky though that i had to leave at 5pm, just minutes before things got really dirty, otherwise i would have been stuck in Wan Chai for the night probrably, or even worse, getting hurt.

7. Yes, I agree the temptation was there. It must be very scary so close to the actions, and I am glad nobody was seriously hurt.

8. Me too, i'm also glad that nothing like the saturday riot happened today, i guess they made some good progress in the confrence. Huge respect or the police though for keeping everything under control under those conditions.

Anyway, here are some less intense, perhaps prettier shots i took from friday
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I know what you mean about the excitement!
    I was in such a situation once: In 1969 I was in Tokyo during the period that there were a lot of protests concerning americans to get out of Okinawa.
    One day I was shopping in the Ginza district when there was such a student protest. All of a sudden the metallic sliding doors of the department store I was in started closing - I just got out! Outside a lot of commotion with police clearing the way for "The Snake" - student protesters (many in combat gear, including gas masks) clasped together by the hundreds in a massive column. They would zig-zag their way through the streets stomping and chanting - and just about unstoppable!! When the Snake was just about through, some protesters firebombed (Molotov cocktails) some subway entrances and all hell broke loose...people running all over....cars riding through fire in the street....TV camera crews tearing through it all on Honda scooters.....the NOISE!!!!
    Anyway, I had just stayed crammed next to a streetlamp post while this was going on around me and thought: might as well get a few shots - I did, with my trusty Minolta SRT-101 loaded with low speed slide film (very inadequate).
    The whole thing was on worldwide TV for the next few days. Scary and quite the experience. I'd never again get near something like that on purpose though...

10. wow, i'm way too young to heard of that, me still being a spotty teenager. That's far more obscene than the protest we had hre yesterday. I have to say though, watching the whole thing live on TV when i got back home, where things got really bad did make me realise how lucky i was to be out of there .

11. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    The links in your second post don't work for me.

12. hi heiko i've just updated my second post, hope it works for you.

13. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks, now I see them. Nice shots, particularly under those difficult conditions and using a film camera (not so much because of the camera, but you probably came back with fewer images to choose from)! You got a lot of competition there :wink: .

My favorites are #2 and 4.

14. No, young man. It's something worth living for :smile:

15. Now that's very wise, i'll never even get the chance to capture moments like these if i'm not alive now, would i?