Wyoming Trip Insect ID

Real Name
Andrew
Hoping someone here might know what this thing is called. Recently returned from a trip to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.

The wife and I were trecking down a path along the Gardiner River toward Boiling River when I saw this on the side of the trail.

I tried various internet searches and pulled up nothing that even looks close. Being unsure if it was still alive or not, it looked menacing enough that I did not want to tinker about too long and annoy it. So I really just got this one angle. It seemed to have some kind of stinger or barb at the back section...so I remained cautious for that too.

It remained motionless. Has 6 legs, I believe only 2 sections. The time of day was around noon and the temperatures were low to mid 80F. Thought I would add that information in case it helps with the identification process any.

Thanks!
08-30-2017_D500_ynp_DSC_1168.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What's in a name? The accepted English name, Mormon cricket is misleading because the critter is actually one of the Shield-back katydids and not a cricket! They don't have a stinger and they're harmless.

Larry

Latest threads

Top Bottom