X-Pro2 - anyone tempted ?

Interesting the Fuji X-Pro2 has finally been scheduled for release - all details about the camera are now known.

Interesting that it will be released just at the same time, more or less, as the new Nikon D500. And I am thinking - what would I rather have ?

D500 now. Then I budget for the X-Pro2, 23/1.4, 56/1.2 and 14/2.8. I love my Fuji X100s and it's OVF. Being able to add a short tele and 21 equivalent makes a complete kit for me. I loved traveling with a Contax G2, 35/90/21 - this new Fuji seems very similar.

I think it looks pretty good. Also the high ISO samples seem better detailed than the older 16mp sensor. The X-Trans seems to scale up better. Even though Sony supplies the sensors, it seems other camera makers do a better job of extracting the potential from the sensors. Depending on your priorities though, the D500 is a lot of camera for the buck.

I think it looks pretty good. Also the high ISO samples seem better detailed than the older 16mp sensor. The X-Trans seems to scale up better. Even though Sony supplies the sensors, it seems other camera makers do a better job of extracting the potential from the sensors. Depending on your priorities though, the D500 is a lot of camera for the buck.
To be honest the D810 is probably my ideal camera, performance wise. But the size of the outfit with even one good fast zoom, makes it impossible as a "one camera solution" for me - as most of my trips are on a motorcycle.

I have been impressed with the results from the X-T1, and had a large A0 size print done - which looks great - lots of detail and dynamic range appears to be excellent. Also, the lenses are stellar. Distortion, fringing and vignetting are minimal and they are still sharp even wide open. Not keen on fast lenses for other cameras that have to be stopped down to f5.6 or more to be useful.

The D500 is going to be a bit costly really. Not that keen on the idea of a sensor that may have been (I may be wrong ) compromised to increase the frame rate, buffer and the ISO range - otherwise why is not a 24 megapixel sensor instead of a 20.9 ? - Anyway super high frame rates, and super high ISOs are not really my thing.

I am sure the D500 will be a phenomenal picture capturing machine. But just that. I seem to gravitate back to small camera, with a small selection of lenses, and a good wide-angle the most important among them !

D500 now. Then I budget for the X-Pro2, 23/1.4, 56/1.2 and 14/2.8. I love my Fuji X100s and it's OVF. Being able to add a short tele and 21 equivalent makes a complete kit for me. I loved traveling with a Contax G2, 35/90/21 - this new Fuji seems very similar.
That is quite a shopping list !
Will this replace your D810 ?
I like the Contax G2 - I had a Leica M7 for a while shooting all the chrome slide films - goof fun, enjoyed all that, great results when everything came together !

Anyway, not sure whether I will keep the X-T1 because of the "one camera" policy, but it looks fairly sure that I will get the X-Pro2.

Nope, I lag behind the curve when it comes to cameras, after 25 I have just bought my first brand new body, an XT-10, the Pro 2 has some very nice features but it would make me a better photographer.

I plan to wait for the X-T2 and see if it justifies an upgrade from the X-T1, which I am more than pleased with.

That is quite a shopping list !
Will this replace your D810 ?
I like the Contax G2 - I had a Leica M7 for a while shooting all the chrome slide films - goof fun, enjoyed all that, great results when everything came together !

Anyway, not sure whether I will keep the X-T1 because of the "one camera" policy, but it looks fairly sure that I will get the X-Pro2.
Replace my D810? Not in a heartbeat, nor will it replace a D500 (end of April?), because I just love DSLRs for long lens and macro work. The Contax G2 co-existed happily with a larger set of Nikon F3HPs. Both have their place.

Not really a huge shopping list - one body and three primes.

Nope, I lag behind the curve when it comes to cameras, after 25 I have just bought my first brand new body, an XT-10, the Pro 2 has some very nice features but it would make me a better photographer.
Just re-read my post:

Meant to say wouldn't as opposed to would.

Being a left eyed shooter & glasses wearer seemed to conspire against me when using my XPRO-1. I think it was more me that the camera. Once I looked through the big beautiful finder on the XT-1 I was hooked.

I had the X100s and couldn't deal with the horrible AF
sold it

bought the Xt-1, cause I wanted a compact camera kit
turns out I couldn't afford a full set of Nikon and Fuji lenses
AF was still suspect, and I missed full frame
sold it

bought a Sony A7II, cause I wanted a compact full frame
and Sony makes Nikons sensors and I could use my Nikon lenses with an adapter
turns out using FF Nikon lenses with the huge adapter kinda defeats the whole idea of compact
so here we go again..needing another set of native lenses
the files from the Sony are nothing like Nikons..dissappointing rendering ,IMO
sold it

so here we are again
wanting a compact solution
missing the spot on colors from Fuji

really hoping for an X100 update, with better AF

I had the X100s and couldn't deal with the horrible AF
sold it

bought the Xt-1, cause I wanted a compact camera kit
turns out I couldn't afford a full set of Nikon and Fuji lenses
AF was still suspect, and I missed full frame
sold it

bought a Sony A7II, cause I wanted a compact full frame
and Sony makes Nikons sensors and I could use my Nikon lenses with an adapter
turns out using FF Nikon lenses with the huge adapter kinda defeats the whole idea of compact
so here we go again..needing another set of native lenses
the files from the Sony are nothing like Nikons..dissappointing rendering ,IMO
sold it

so here we are again
wanting a compact solution
missing the spot on colors from Fuji

really hoping for an X100 update, with better AF
Perhaps their was a problem with your X100s. I know the X100 was troublesome for many, but I've haven't found the AF on the X100s to be bad at all.

So I need to be enlightened - say, I am on the market to choose from. OK, the new X is very good, no words. For $1700. So isn't new Pentax with IBIS, FF, a lot more, for $1800, a better choice for newcomers, as I, naïve, am? LZ

Thinking about it. Size and weight is a concern. Looking at the OM-D M1, possibly the Sony A6300 and the XPro2.

Would have liked to stay in the Nikon family to go small.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom