X-Pro2 - anyone tempted ?

I'm more interested in the x-t2. I dont use the hybrid view finder and from what I have read that is the biggest price difference between the pro and xt.

I'm hoping the supposed xt2 becomes the performance camera and improves on the blackout when shooting high frame rates. Ive been using my x-t1/ 50-200 combo for fast moving birds and it isn't a frustrating experience. If the xt2 is a bit better, the 100-400 and xt2 will be a great birding combo. I was tempted with the D500 but I'm going to get the 100-400 when I can. Hopefully be able to get a xt2 if I have a busy summer.

I had the X100s and couldn't deal with the horrible AF
sold it

bought the Xt-1, cause I wanted a compact camera kit
turns out I couldn't afford a full set of Nikon and Fuji lenses
AF was still suspect, and I missed full frame
sold it

bought a Sony A7II, cause I wanted a compact full frame
and Sony makes Nikons sensors and I could use my Nikon lenses with an adapter
turns out using FF Nikon lenses with the huge adapter kinda defeats the whole idea of compact
so here we go again..needing another set of native lenses
the files from the Sony are nothing like Nikons..dissappointing rendering ,IMO
sold it

so here we are again
wanting a compact solution
missing the spot on colors from Fuji

really hoping for an X100 update, with better AF
I hear where you are coming from - the eternal size v quality loop !

I am liking the idea of the updated sensor, and better focusing will be nice, but mostly it is about the upgraded sensor. Fuji lenses, for me, have solved this problem of having a good APS-C body and having fantastic specific lenses to go with it. With my D7100 I found there were no really good smaller APS-C specific lenses for it, so you had to get the larger full frame Nikkors - which defeats the point, as you mention.

So for this reason will stick with Fuji, and upgrade the body, but not sure when - the only reason for not having the X-Pro2 already is because of a new Shoei helmet and a trip to run the bike at Santa Pod Raceway ! will have to get the camera some other time ;)

I really hope the X Pro2 hits the mark...
first Fuji with phase detection AF points i think, so it 'should" be better
24 MP is the sweet spot for me as well

if its as good as I hope
might be getting rid of Nikon altogether

XPro2 or Xt-2
14/2.8-23/1.4- 35/2- 56/1.2- 90/2
Im done

I cancelled my pre-order with Henry's (had no idea how much longer I would have to wait) and instead ordered today from B&H. It will arrive on Wednesday ...

would love to hear your impressions Larry
specifically in relation to AF compared to 100t and Xt-1

would love to hear your impressions Larry
specifically in relation to AF compared to 100t and Xt-1
Give me a couple of days, Frank. It just arrived a short time ago but I won't have time to try anything until tomorrow or Friday. I like the way that it feels, though. I did peer through the OVF and have no problem seeing (I wear glasses). I have no problem with the X100T's OVF, either, so figured that it would be fine.

Looking forward to setting things up and giving it a nice shoot around either Friday or Saturday (likely both).

Look forward to seeing the results and hearing how you get on. I held one only, and surprised that it was not as heavy in the hand as I thought it was going to be - pleasant surprise. But that is my total experience with one to date !!

Having only used it for a couple of days, I can say that it is noticeably quicker with AF than the X-T1 and X100T. It seems to also lock onto focus quicker in low light than either of the other two bodies. So far I have only mounted the 56 f1.2 and the 35 f2, but should have more time later this week to try the 16 f1.4. 16-55 f2.8, and 90 f2. I might even try my Rokinon 8 f2.8 before the weekend is over.

The grip is much better than the X100T but not as nice as the X-T1, however it is definitely manageable. I still need to add my Lance wrist strap for a little extra 'insurance', though. It handles very well, even without a strap.

In summary, my initial impression and shooting experience with it is definitely positive, and I look forward to spending more time with it outdoors ...

Forgot to mention the viewfinder. I had read some negative comments from a few users who wear glasses that the viewfinder was a no-go for them. However, I wear glasses but have no problem with it. If you wear glasses and have tried the X100 series, the viewfinder is similar in use, only more responsive.

good to hear about the AF Larry
I figured with finally adding phase detection, it would be better than the other two

now to grab one of these or wait on the Xt-2.??....I did like the ergonomics of the Xt-1

now to grab one of these or wait on the Xt-2.??....I did like the ergonomics of the Xt-1
I'm going to keep my eye on the X-T2. If the X-Pro2 spoils me with the new sensor and the X-T2 is released with the same, then I just might replace my X-T1 with it. Time will tell. I am thinking that my X100T might be the odd man out, but I'm going to take my time in deciding which one goes. Just can't justify three bodies ... at least not to my wife ... :p

Sold the X-T1, it sold in an afternoon of going on sale !

Now looking to decide between the D500, the X-Pro2 and a possible X-T2.

Our local camera store is now charging 25% commission for the sale of second-hand equipment, which is a bit of a game changer. No longer prepared to buy new camera at top release date prices, to then sell later when the price has dropped AND pay a 25% sales commission.

So next camera will not be release date prices, and I will have to stick with it for longer than the usual 12-18 months. So will have to be sure of next camera, as I will have to keep it longer.

In the meantime down to using the Little Panasonic TZ70, probably for the summer, which will have to do for now !

Picture taken with - Panasonic TZ70:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Honda CBR1000 RR Fireblade by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

After a lot of thought, and spending hours looking at reviews of the D500, D810, X-Pro2, D750, X-T2 - just spinning my head with camera and lens review fatigue - O/D on it all.

Walking past local store and they had an X-Pro 1 in the window, second hand - cheap as chips. So purchased that after checking a few frames onto a card.

So after all that, have actually gone backwards, but looking forward to using it - one step backwards, two steps forward kind of thing.

Fuji X-Po1, see how I get on.

Enjoy your new old camera.

The X-Pro1 was my entry level drug into the Fuji system. I liked the camera it gave me many fine photos but I couldn't get along with the the viewfinder so I sold it off to get a used XT-1. I liked the files from the X-Pro1 more. I kept the XT-1, but bought an XE-1 because it has the same sensor as the X-Pro1. :)

Enjoy your new old camera.

The X-Pro1 was my entry level drug into the Fuji system. I liked the camera it gave me many fine photos but I couldn't get along with the the viewfinder so I sold it off to get a used XT-1. I liked the files from the X-Pro1 more. I kept the XT-1, but bought an XE-1 because it has the same sensor as the X-Pro1. :)
Thank you Chuck, appreciated.

I often chat to the guy at the local camera store - and he said the same about the X-Pro 1 files. His boss would probably have told him to try a little harder to sell me a new X-Pro 2 !!

I am also a bit concerned that I will not like the X-Pro format, so getting the older X-Pro 1 will be no big loss if I don't like it. If everything goes well then maybe get the "2".

The new 23 mm f2 is the next thing on the shopping list !

Thanks
Matt

After a few months of using the second hand X-Pro1 decided to get the X-Pro2 !

Hours of looking at Full Frame - v - Crop Sensor; D810 -v-D750 -v-D500-v-XT2 and what lenses to get for these options - and lens reviews.

Finally settled on the X-Pro2 - The D810 gave it the closest run for sure; it was just a bit big and lenses a bit bigger as well.

Next challenge will be taking it to the Isle of Man TT Races in June, and trying to photograph fast bikes with it !

Should be fun !

A classic still life image, this of my new motorcycle helmet - ( Nicky Hayden race replica) taken in the office under strip lighting !

Handheld, and could have gone crazy with the Velvia, but this converted to Astia in PP.

I am having to get used to smaller numbers to look at in the viewfinder - the ISO, and shutter speed are not nice and big like in a DSLR and so far find I have to look for them - they do not appear all big like in a DSLR. Will have to keep an eye on that, as the ISO and shutter speed could have been a bit higher on this image, and depth of field also.

Overall pleased though.

Nicky Hayden race replica 2017
Hayden Arai race replica 2017 by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

This is the main event - this year's vacation at the Isle of Man TT races.

A few pictures from that event.

Struggled a bit with the small viewfinder, and also the processing the files that seems to take a while in Lightroom. I think I am still going to need a DSLR !

A few shots from the Isle of Man TT.

Michael Dunlop by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

Josh Brookes by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

Josh Brookes by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

Ian Hutchinson by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

Michael Dunlop Senior TT win by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom